Three Cheers for Sweet Revenge review by My Chemical Romance

• Released: Jun 8, 2004
  • Users' score: 2.5 (1,843 votes)
My Chemical Romance: Three Cheers for Sweet Revenge

The sound of this album is great. In the song "Ghost Of You," the guitar riffs were simple but a normal person could not have made anything like it. Frank really puts the distortion effects to the limits and Ray really creates awesome guitar solos. Mikey is really a veteran here, despite the fact that bass strings are large and somewhat hard. Bob (yeah, they had to replace their drummer in this album) defines the word "impossible" by his drum solos. That would really hurt your legs and arms from all that slam-banging Gerard's voice is totally flexible. He screams. He whispers. He emotes. I'd have to say it sounds great. The story of this album is derived from lovers who got murdered in a gunfight in the desert (as the song from their first album "Demolition Lovers" (which is my favorite song of all their songs) suggests). The guy went straight to hell and made a deal with the devil to kill a thousand evil men so that he can live again with his lover. He sets off with a gun but he is killed in the end and went on burning in hell. Some of the tracks were also inspired by Mikey and Gerard's grandmother who passed away. The song "Helena" is a tribute to her. 'Nuff said, it sound great.

The lyrics are dark and maccabre. It speaks of death and the story of the two lovers above. The lyrics are dark, gothic and emotional. Just the way I like it. Gerard's flexible voice ranges from whining about a dead family member (Helena), high school dramas (I'm Not Ok), being taken away from your lover (Ghost Of You), living the life of a serial killer (I Never Told You What I Do For A Living) and many more, the lyrics seem to captivate you and they don't repeat itself. They are also pretty deep (excerpt from Helena, "Long ago, just like the hearse you died to get in again") and will make you feel like a gothic writer. If only they wrote a song about The Headless Horseman.

I can't compare this one to anything else. It is unique, dark, violent and emotional. The most impressive songs have to be Helena, Ghost Of You, I'm Not Ok (I Promise), To The End, I Never Told You What I Do For A Living and You Know What They Do To Guys Like Us In Prison. The best song has to be "Ghost Of You." You can feel the emotion by listening to this song. I love it because it is gothic. It reflects my personality. And it isn't just senseless screaming. What I hate though is, nothing! Okay, so maybe I'm exalting these guys too much but this album is really good. I can't think of anything bad to say about them. If it was stolen or lost, I'd hunt it down or hunt down the thieves, singing, "Another knife in my hands, a stain that never somes off the sheets..."

GerardWay'sgirl
    obviously.. you don't get out much.. maybe sometime we can go over some of the bands influencing teens today.. the lyrics of.. the used.. or maybe avenged sevenfold.. then go through all the lyrics of mrc.. and which talks about bad things more? i sure dont hear you bitching about the REAL bands that suck.. that dont even sing.. but SCREAM.. you MUST be a gwar fan
    xx7xx?
    i reely like this cd but not as much as the first one. and falloutboy is for posers. ass hole! and what is gwar?
    VolucrisExNox
    Personally I think this album is quite good. I would say every song on the record is a good one. What I mostly like are the changes in the chord progressions ( for example, in Hang 'Em High and It's Not A Fashion Statement, It's A Deathwish ). Maybe Three Cheers isn't the best rock album right now, but it has some pretty hard rockin' songs worth listening to.
    RainbowBassist
    personally, this album was very amazing. the guitar and drumming was great, but the basslines were simple, and not very exciting. i found gerards vocals to be around half there, but the lyrics were incredible.