Three Cheers for Sweet Revenge review by My Chemical Romance

• Released: Jun 8, 2004
  • Users' score: 2.5 (1,844 votes)
My Chemical Romance: Three Cheers for Sweet Revenge

I got this CD on a buying binge one day. I'd heard "I'm Not Okay", and I wasn't too impressed at the time, but I found the music video pretty amusing. I picked it up, and was imediately entranced by the instrumentals in Helena. It seemed to only get better. To me, MCR has their own unique style. They combine a lot of different techniques to make their guitar work and other various instruments fit the meanings of the songs very well. For example, Hang 'Em High has a perfect western feel to it. But they can change from that style to Ghost of You, which leans more to the emo rock side of the spectrum. I think their background music is amazing and conveys the images of the songs in a superb manner.

Three Cheers for Sweet Revenge is quite obviously a concept album. They have a plot randomly conveyed within the songs. I think that some of their lyrics are obscure in a way that they have far too many meanings. You can tell the overall meanings in the songs, but trying to combine them in a plot is a lot easier said than done. I think they did a pretty good job with bringing out each and every individual song's meaning, but I think their song order was a bit sloppy. It's nice to have a band that can make you actually think about their work, but MCR does it in a fairly confusing manner. If you have a lot of patience and interest in figuring out the deeper meanings and plots of songs, than they will fit you pretty well.

When I first got TCFWR, I really thought that it was some of the most amazing music I'd heard that year. I hurriedly bought their previous album and was disappointed. I think they changed their style a lot in this new album. Very much for the better, at that. Their old style was a lot more sloppy in my view, as well as emo enough to make you want to gag. I think they improved greatly with this album, and hopefully they'll confinue in this direction with their next album. I always find myself picking it back up after I've grown sick of it. This album is very addicting. You've been warned.