Three Cheers for Sweet Revenge review by My Chemical Romance

• Released: Jun 8, 2004
  • Users' score: 2.5 (1,844 votes)
My Chemical Romance: Three Cheers for Sweet Revenge

I got this CD on a buying binge one day. I'd heard "I'm Not Okay", and I wasn't too impressed at the time, but I found the music video pretty amusing. I picked it up, and was imediately entranced by the instrumentals in Helena. It seemed to only get better. To me, MCR has their own unique style. They combine a lot of different techniques to make their guitar work and other various instruments fit the meanings of the songs very well. For example, Hang 'Em High has a perfect western feel to it. But they can change from that style to Ghost Of You, which leans more to the emo rock side of the spectrum. I think their background music is amazing and conveys the images of the songs in a superb manner.

Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge is quite obviously a concept album. They have a plot randomly conveyed within the songs. I think that some of their lyrics are obscure in a way that they have far too many meanings. You can tell the overall meanings in the songs, but trying to combine them in a plot is a lot easier said than done. I think they did a pretty good job with bringing out each and every individual song's meaning, but I think their song order was a bit sloppy. It's nice to have a band that can make you actually think about their work, but MCR does it in a fairly confusing manner. If you have a lot of patience and interest in figuring out the deeper meanings and plots of songs, than they will fit you pretty well.

When I first got TCFWR, I really thought that it was some of the most amazing music I'd heard that year. I hurriedly bought their previous album and was disappointed. I think they changed their style a lot in this new album. Very much for the better, at that. Their old style was a lot more sloppy in my view, as well as emo enough to make you want to gag. I think they improved greatly with this album, and hopefully they'll confinue in this direction with their next album. I always find myself picking it back up after I've grown sick of it. This album is very addicting. You've been warned.

Hikarimono
    I wonder if the people who argue against the album have listened to it. It's a concept album. It pertains to a storyline. There is nothing mentioned about some teen cutting himself. It's a story in music, and anyone stupid enough to believe otherwise obviously doesn't have an ounce of comprehension to the english lanuage.
    skippy_moogoose
    Compared to their last album Bullets (a classic), Revenge has a much more rich and professional sound
    erm,if it doesn't sound professional, how cna it be a classic? The Sex Pistols album, definitive punk, is classic, but that was Proffesioanally produced,same with Nevermind by Nirvana, even In Utero in a way, produced by Steve Albini, in a certain style, professionally, I hope you all get my point, if not, then simply,if you're gonna review, don't be blatantly mega biased one way or the other or say stupid things. hard for some i know, lmao : )
    iLuV_mUsIc
    I luv MCR! so whoever doesnt like them, stop posting fricken reviews about them!
    mcrhines
    y the **** do people write stuff about albums they hate..obviously they have no lives..tools.. this album is sooo fkn good, but still not as good as bullets..
    Gibson_SG_uzr55
    This album is awesome! Gerard is a good vocalist, unlike most modern rock singers, and, also unlike modern rock singers, he is a descent entertainer. Now I aint baggin' the new frontmen of this generation of music, Im just sayin, how many guys anymore sing like Gerard w/o screaming. Ray Toro can play really friggin good, and Im glad to here solos back in hard rock/punk. Frank, Mikey, and Bob are all great talents in music. This is a great band with an album to show for it.