Three Cheers for Sweet Revenge review by My Chemical Romance

• Released: Jun 8, 2004
  • Users' score: 2.5 (1,843 votes)
My Chemical Romance: Three Cheers for Sweet Revenge

In general not all I was expecting to hear when I bought the album, it was much noisier and less melodic than I was expecting. From songs such as The Ghost Of You and Interlude you go to I'm Not Okay, which is a jump from a melodic, relatively quiet song to something that's extremely loud and very, very angry sounding song. I wasn't expecting anything I got when I bought this CD, but after listening to it a few times I started to hear the outstanding guitars, and the emotion in Gerard's vocals almost all the way through. And that laugh of his at the end of 'you knwo what they do to guys like us in prison'.

Angry, emotional, heartfelt. that's Punk, emo and well, emo again I guess. They merged together two genre's of music and created a new one emo-punk-rock. The vocals get a high rating because when you listen you can hear the emotion in Gerard's voice, which I already commented on, but the lyrics play a large part in how emotional the vocals CAN be put across as. 'Never comin' home, never comin' home' anyone can write them, but it takes a certain type of person to be able to sing them with the required emotion. OK, so maybe Gerard's vocals aren't the most melodic on this album, but they blend in with the guitars and other music extremely well.

I bought three albums at the same time, this one, Bullet For MY Valentine The Poison and Lostprophets Liberation Transmission, I'm not sure which one I've listened to more, this or Lostprophets, likely this one, but I couldn't compare this to anything by anyone else, and I wouldn't like to compare it in any kind of detail at all to The Black Parade. the songs which impressed me most were obviously Helena and I'm Not Okay, those were the two I heard which made me want to buy the album, but sicne I've been impressed by The Ghost Of You and Thanks You For The Venom, along with To The End. What draws me to Thank You For The Venom is the dity guitar sound at the beginning of it. what do I love? the gritty down and dity guitar sound of the whole album. I coulcn't be happy if I didn't have a copy of this, even if it was on the computer and my CD went missing I would save my money and buy a enw copy, even if that meant that when I found my original I had two, I wouldn't care.

Phill-Rock
    Their guitarist is half-decent but I hate the rest of the band. Maybe if he had a side-project...
    Pinkflame190
    I think this is the best MCR album. There was so much energy put in the songs that made you want to get up and just jump. I LOVED IT!! the lyrics were fantastic and for those who say that MCR is emo really should think again. MCR is very different from any other band I've ever heard which really shouldn't allow anyone to label them as anything. They have their own sound. They deserve to be where they are. They deserve to be one of the top bands out there this year. They work non-stop and earned it
    onthelongview
    To me this is one of the greatets albums ever, I've had it for 2 years and still go back to listen to it it at least once a month...it's actually the only album I still listen to from when I was 14/15. All the songs are good nothing repetive, good lyrics, awesome guitar, and a guy who actually sings...imagine that in this day and age.
    scb
    brilliant album, BRILLIANT! everything abut it is great....i would give it an 11 you know...but as it goes up to 10.....bleh
    sxy6helena
    I really really liked this cd, its one of my favorites and I still listen to it alot and never get tired of it.
    stampy_69
    I love this album! MCR rules over all emo bands and if u don't like em, you can go screw urself!