Three Cheers for Sweet Revenge review by My Chemical Romance

• Released: Jun 8, 2004
  • Reviewer's score: 3 Poor
  • Users' score: 2.5 (1,843 votes)
My Chemical Romance: Three Cheers for Sweet Revenge

I can't believe I bought this CD, the sound on it is a band trying to be a hard rock band but unfortunaley can't pull off the sound or look. There pop infused post-hardcore sound is tiring, boring and after listening to 2 songs I feel like I have heard them all. The guitars are catchy but lack the agression that a rock bands guitars should have, the album is just boring and I can't seem to get into it. After owning it for a year I feel no need to listen to it. The production was great. Everything comes in as clear as a bell, even the bass is audible. Whoever produced this is definetly getting a bonus from MCR. Overall I appreciate the attempt at a hard rock sound but all I get is heavier than norm Pop-punk band.

The lyrics are boring on just about everyother song except for a notible 2. "Helena" is an emotionally deprived peace of gothic poetry and when I first heard it I cried because it reminded me of my grandmother. Some of it may be corny or rushed but overall boring music but poetic lyrics in Helena. The other song I actually laghed when I heard it. "You know what they do to guys like us in Prison." If ound hilarious. Again boring music but the lyrics were funny as hell. Overall I would listen to this song as poem more than anything. Gerard Way has an annoying voice. His range is good for this time when most of the "rock" singers nowadays can't sing at all live. I'm glad that he takes singing seriously in his band. A lot of it is very noisey and whiney to me, like from first to last with a tweaked vocal performance. Overall it's nice for the attempt but I would stick to ballads Gerard, stick to ballads.

I haven't rally heard any other albums By MCR but I did not like the album, it is a poser album. It's nice to see a bnd take there music as something more than money but it's still just bad. I would compare it to a well produced super lite St. Anger. Obviously this band is not in the same genre as Metallica but they have nothing on this bands playing ability either. The Only songs I really listen to are Helena and I'm not Okay which are songs I find barley listenable. I wouldn't buy the album again and I would probably pay someone to steal it from me.

thesecondman
    Gerard Way Jr
    thesecondman wrote: To the people that wrote reviews that just said that this band sucks and they're horrible musicians and they're emo and they are responsible for the downfall of music: Shut up. That has nothing to do with this album. They're somewhat original at the very least. To the people that reviewed the album and just said "this album rocks!": Shut up. Actually review the thing. Talk about it. Explain it or don't waste my time.