Three Cheers for Sweet Revenge review by My Chemical Romance

• Released: Jun 8, 2004
  • Users' score: 2.5 (1,844 votes)
My Chemical Romance: Three Cheers for Sweet Revenge

To many people, Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge is My Chemical Romance's best album, including myself. The screamo and punk rock styles used appeal to an enormous percent of the population. The album was supposedly based on two lovers fighting to be together. "Helena" was written as a tribute to Gerard and Mikey's grandmother. Ray Toro's skill as a lead guitarist improved through this album, as did Mikey's on bass. Both included more complicated riffs or solos in the songs. Frank was always great as a rythm guitarist and backing vocalist. Also the way that Ray and Frank harmonize with Gerard is amazing. Great examples of this are on "I'm Not Okay," "Helena", "Thank You For the Venom," and "Hang 'Em High." I personally noticed a change in sound from the previous album, and their first, "I Brought You My Bullets, You Brought Me Your Love." There was more passion. Most of the songs weren't just screaming (which I enjoy) or nonsense lyrics. They actually meant something.

I think that Gerard did a great job in sychronizing hhis vocals with the music. If you listen to it carefully, it sounds like he is the only person that can sing it and make it sound that good. No one else can pull that off but him. It's like Axl Rose. There is not a single human being on the earth that can sing like him. The lyrics to some of the songs didn't make any sense to me. I don't think that it matters though, because Gee makes it work. Some of the songs were kind of violent. These referred to headshots, bloody gunfights, and angels cutting tongues out. In my opinion, the lyrics could be better. Me saying that doesn't turn me against My Chem, but they have already written three albums straight about death. I just think that Gee needs new inspiration. Other than that, five stars

The most impressive songs, overall, would be "Helena,""Thank You For The Venom," "I Never Told You What I Do For A Living," "I'm Not Okay(I Promise)," and "The Ghost Of You." In particular, "The Ghost of You" and "Helena" sounded like no other song that the quintet had ever written. In my opinion, Gerard sang them with more feeling. None of the much enjoyed screaming was present in either one of them. It really doesn't compare to any other albums by any other artists. It could possiibly compare to the succes of The Black Parade, but other than that, nothing can touch it. I hate nothing about it. There isn't really anything wrong with it, that is, if you are a true My Chemical Romance fan. I love Ray Toro's guitar sections the most.