Three Cheers for Sweet Revenge review by My Chemical Romance

• Released: Jun 8, 2004
  • Users' score: 2.5 (1,844 votes)
My Chemical Romance: Three Cheers for Sweet Revenge

This album follows a post-hardcore sound. Often regarded as a sell out, but in fact the songs on the first album were rough so the songs on this album have been polished up. But yes this album does lean slightly towards pop-punk but most of it takes the post-hardcore sound of the 1st album. The guitar sound is great. Ray Toro and Frank Iero have two different styles and these styles work together. Ray Toro is an extremly under rated guitarist. It was also the last album to feature Matt Pelissier, a great drummer but they picked up a drummer just as good, named Bob Bryar.

The lyrics on the album are dark, in a hopeful way. Gerard Way is a great lyricist. Listen to this album closely and you will agree with me. Also, Gerard Way is an excellent singer. He can break into screaming anytime. People may call the lyrics emo, it isn't emo. His lyrics mean something, unlike most bands. A lot of people will call it emo, I call it Gerard Way being a great lyricist.

This album is completly original. I have never heard anything like it, it has bee compaired to In Love And Death by The Used but I've listened to both many times, they're two very different and brilliant albums and the only similarity is The Used and MCR are both Post-Hardcore. In my opinion it is the best album I have heard, and every time I listen to it it's like a new album every time. The music is timeless and Well Written. Recommended tracks: Helena, You Know That They do To Guys Like Us In Prison, Hang 'Em High, It's Not A Fashion Statement, It's A Deathwish, Cemetery Drive and I Never Told You What I Do For A Living.

fender-lespaul
    Why is everyone saying Bob Bryar's drumming helped? He didn't drum at all on this album. He appeared in the video for "I'm Not Okay" as Matt Pelissier had left after recording.
    skuldugery
    I love this album (9*) I love I never told you what I did for a living, its not a fashion statement its a deathwish , ghost of you, Im' not Okay , hang 'em high, you know what they do to guys like us in prison and give 'em hell kids! MCR ROCK!
    guitaluva17
    i really dont consider them emo. they're in a whole different league than FOB ot PATD
    Apeshxt
    I think that "A Ghost of You" is the most notable song on the album, it is one of my favorite songs.
    SwabGob
    Not rock. This album is terribly generic. Whether they have copied AFI, bad religion or whatever else they claim their influences to be, they have managed to chew up and spit out what was ALREADY chewed and spat out by them before. They make music a mockery. I mean its good for preteens, very safe music. But i dont see why it is talked about so highly in forums with adults in it. Pop music is a curse, and unfortunately MCR is spreading it also with the assistance of their fans.