Horror Of Beauty Review

My Ruin: Horror Of Beauty
Released: Oct 21, 2003
Genre: Rock
Styles: Alternative Metal
Horror of Beauty (the band's first full-length for Century Media) is still dominated by Tarrie B.'s voice and ideology.
 8.5
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
Horror Of Beauty Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 01, 2004

Sound: The Horror Of Beauty, the most recent album from My Ruin, is the soundtrack to the rage and fury felt by the band over the past year. Surviving a ruckus with record label 'Spitfire', the harshness of the press, and slaves to the stereotypical view of rock stars, this is My Ruin's comeback, and it does not disappoint. The sound of the album is loyal to its name. Titled 'The Horror Of Beauty', the thundering riffs of Mick Murphy's guitar combine hardcore with classic rock, and accentuate the beauty of pure horror itself. Whether paced at a rapid or deliberate tempo, every song is unique, and each lick of the guitar tells a different story. Above the rumbling of the bass lines, each bend of the guitar is matched by a staggering twist in the screams of the My Ruin's throat (Tairrie B), and such an awesome array of sound emphasizes the outstanding power and pure energy behind the crashes of drummer Yael's kit. // 10

Lyrics: Seemingly an effortless struggle to maintain the album's superb aura, the lyrics stubbornly refuse to be a let down. Upholding the terrifyingly beautiful effect made by the music, there is always a something new to discover behind the words. Saying this, they are as hypnotic as they are profound, and the emotion behind them, whether clear, or just seemingly so, matches the emotions that the music builds. However, through all the brilliance displayed in the lyrics and music, the album, with all its feeling, may not be the perfect album to be listening to at certain times! // 10

Overall Impression: This album certainly surpasses the other albums in sheer brilliance. The killer songs from the album include Burn the Witch, Radio Silence, Hot In The House Of God, Ten Minutes To Hollywood, and Get Pretty, although the album is superbly introduced by Stage Fright, the short, instrumental first track on the CD. If this album was stolen from me, I would buy it again a countless number of times. But whilst that is so, I would also be envious of the thief who had taken it from me, for however long I was to be without it! In all seriousness, this is My Ruin at their best. They're big, they're back, and they will not be quiet. // 10

Comments