Seeing Sounds review by N.E.R.D.

• Released: Jun 10, 2008
N.E.R.D.: Seeing Sounds

Pharrell Williams. Not particularly a name many would associate with rock. However, his funk-rock band N.E.R.D. (No One Ever Really Dies) has innovated music across several genres. The band began as the very successful, distinctive hip-hop production group The Neptunes, and now have 3 albums on the market, with Seeing Sounds as the most recent. The album title refers to the neurolgical phenomenon synesthesia, which allows one to associate certain noises with colors or shapes, and ultimately see sounds. The album as a whole is pretty diverse, which is very satisfying, and the styles used vary from track to track, but even more so from half to half.

N.E.R.D./Pharrell have always used fairly straightforward lyrics, and this time it's no different. Unfortunately, a few songs have excellent beats, great verses, then lackluster, corny hooks that really make the song seem unoriginal, despite its high points. "Happy" is a perfect example; great production, good verse, then the downer of a hook, "Now I'm happy/things are looking good now/I feel so alive/I'm on overdrive". To me it feels, uninspired, and very cliche. However, there are contrasting points as well. The majority of the choruses are one line, repeated throughout, like in "Everone Nose", and "Anti-Matter". I've never been a fan of that style, but it really works here. A highlight for me as far as lyrics go is in "Everyone Nose (All The Girls Standing In The Line For The Bathroom)", a song about the re-emergance of cocaine as Hollywood's go-to drug. Just before the chorus, Pharrell sings "A hundred dollar bills look at you, at you", where the "at you" part is sung as "achoo", referencing the sneezing result of cocaine. It's a simple, yet memorable lyric, and on this album they don't come by too often.

Being a fan of N.E.R.D.'s work prior to listening to this album, I knew what to expect; amazing production, some fast paced rock tracks, some ballad-like songs, and a mix of rapping and singing. And it's all there. My personal favorite songs are "Everyone Nose", "Anti-Matter", "Spaz" (known as the song from the Zune commercial), and "Kill Joy". The album is fantastic and will please new listeners as well as fans. It's only low point is the lyrics which can be dull and cliche at times, but the marvelous production and musicianship make up for it. The only song I really ever skip over it "Love Bomb". It isn't a bad song, but something about it is just unappealing. For new listeners and fans alike, embrace N.E.R.D. and hope they stick around for a very long time, because their originality and talent is something you will rarely see.

Prince Albert
    The_Seventh_Sin wrote: let me guess.... metal-elitist: NERD sux wannabe-liberal mind: no they dont ...thatll happen for days to come
    aye aye, Cap'n Obvious
    Uranutan wrote: archangelseren wrote: please remove.... ultimate guitar????? not quite h4rdc0re metulz only guisze
    lawl.
    GuitarplayaMD
    N.E.R.D. is a great project, but when you have a few ignorant people regarding music starting to talk trash it just annoys everyone.
    mortengh
    nerd is pretty good, its half rock half pop and half rap :o *small joke somewhere within that sentence, can YOU figure it out? o.O )
    [x]Huffy[x]
    archangelseren wrote: please remove.... ultimate guitar????? not quite
    Try listening to them. They're a funk rock band.
    Alexishxc1337
    icekold23 wrote: Dude, NERD are the shit. I saw them live on the Glow in the dark tour and they had so much energy. They had 2 drummers and they did a drum off and it was bad ass no lie. This album was killer.
    Yeah, I've been wanting to see them live. The videos on youtube of their shows look like they're really fun to be at.
    icekold23
    xTheVulcan
    It didn't work for me at all. I dunno, maybe I'm just a metal listener but it sounded really empty to me. I heard Spaz on TV and I had to plug my ears.
    HeavyDT
    its alright but their first cd is classic fly or die is badand this one is okay so yeah i like pharrel but nerds track is inconsistent. Its unfortunate though i know manty on this website are close minded and wont ever give music like this the time of day its the same all over. Either you like hip hop and hate all forms of rock or you like rock and you hate all hip hop very few people willing to cross over
    Sound Mind
    archangelseren wrote: please remove.... ultimate guitar????? not quite
    what's up with the newer members? the amount of guitars doesn't matter; reviews on this site are under Music Reviews, not Guitar Reviews.
    K!nj!
    Although I'm not really a fan of Pharrel's solo work I do like NERD,and I'm gonna see them live this year!!! very catchy songs
    Alexishxc1337
    GuitarHero0715 wrote: They have a few guitar songs. I like this cd a bunch.
    Agreed. The solo in "Sooner Or Later" is very nice, something i really wish i would've mentioned in the review =/
    Uranutan