Luna review by National Product

• Released: Aug 7, 2007
  • Reviewer's score: 5.3 Decent
National Product: Luna

National Product's debut CD Luna on R&M artist records brings bought of radio-ready tunes similar to and in the vein of Lit, Relient K, and elements of the current pop-punk movement sweeping the masses. Slickly produced, Luna is a mostly an electric record, with faint acoustic texturing throughout and a few ProTools post-production tricks scattered therein. The vocals soar on the entire release, sometimes in a belt, a scream, or falsetto. The sound is big, yet controlled, with a blanket of power chorded guitar work lays out the foundation for root-note basslines and somewhat repetitive, unimpressive drum tracks. It's not a new sound, but a solid one. A sound that makes radio play; a sound that incorporates the industry's favorite combination of so-so instrumental work coupled with catchy hooks and sailing vocal melodies.

The keystone of the record is no doubt the lyrical content. National Product strains and aches for a lost lover -- they miss, burn, bleed for that ever-present you in nearly every track. It's a gentle tug on November Night: It's warmer than what I felt within you, and a scathing cry for attention on the opener By All Means: Reach out! Can you hear me?/They're sold on our every action/Reach out! A strong love-meets-angst rock lyric bank encapsulates the release as a whole. Radio friendly yet again, with little profanity and a whole lot of personal feeling prided on loss and love.

A solid debut CD from a band that will have radio play in no time. Although forgettable in today's mainstream music scene, Luna will have it's fifteen minutes of fame. The boys of National Product will make a cool buck from the popcorn familiarity of their debut and most likely will make quite a splash in the crowded pool of such bands as Fall Out Boy, Panic! At The Disco, and such bygones as Good Charlotte and Lit. A slick, repetitively addicting piece from a new group.

Lambda
    dude i was just thinking that. like, the album's cover looks pretty much really badass, but then it sounds like run-of-the-mill 'turn-it-to-something-better' radio stuff.
    viv marc
    I just found this band online and I think it sounds amazing! Though I'm open minded about music where it seems like many people on here are not.
    Thirty7mm
    Hey I'm from Hawaii and these guys kick ass. Probably not the heavy metal stuff you want (I like metal too!) but if you have an open mind, they sound great.