Hair Of The Dog review by Nazareth

• Released: Jan 1, 1975
Nazareth: Hair Of The Dog

Nazareth have a very unique sort of Classic Rock sound, especially in this record. For years I have described them as the "Scottish Led Zeppelin" which is accurate as Nazareth originated in Scotland. The best thing about this record, is that it proves that even the simplest rhythm figures still make amazing songs. Not a single part of this album is difficult to play on any of the instruments. However, it still contains that very rare musical element, which allows the record to envelope you completely. I would have to say that the most driving part of this record are the drum parts. Nothing particularly fancy or special is played, but they keep the record heavy-driven to the end. The guitar parts are also not very intricate or complicated, but classic and simple. This album also has good flow from the first track to the last, making it so you will want to hear the whole album every time you put it in. Not just a fews songs.

The lyrics contained in this album are creative and original. The title "Hair Of The Dog" (also the record's first song) is a play on the song's chorus ("Heir of the Dog" meaning "Son of a b*tch", which is the chorus line). The most popular and known song on this record is "Love Hurts". A slow style ballad found on many 1970's classic rock compilations. The lyrics adapt to the music very well on this record. The most unique song, lyrically, I would say is "Please Don't Judas Me", which also has a unique instrumental background. The singer (Dan McCafferty) has deep, raspy Scottish accent and sings somewhat in the style of Robert Plant (which brings me back to Scottish Led Zeppelin). The accent and raspiness though, make it so you can recognize this band anywhere.

I honestly cannot believe that I am the first on this site to review this record. This is one of my longtime favorites and biggest influences. Right from the very first track, I guarantee you that this album will catch you like any good Classic Rock album would. This is a very underrated band and a very underrated album. It was released in 1975, and to the day has sold just over 2 million copies. I cannot pick any favorite songs because they are all equal and they all make the album what it is. Just buy it, borrow it, or listen to it online, from start to finish. I've had the same copy of this album for the past 16 years, if it were stolen I would flip out (and then buy it on vinyl).

JustLikeMe
    guitfiddleRR wrote: The original number of tracks is 8. Only the special edition has 13 tracks
    Zanary
    I agree with the author that it's bizarre how little has been said about this album. It's possibly a PERFECT Hard Rock album, with all based covered: anthems, ballad, sleazy blues, power rockers...and the ethereal "Please Don't Judas Me" is maybe one of the most fantastic dark rock songs ever recorded-just ask Metallic, who try (and fail) to cover it on YouTube.