Omnicide - Creation Unleashed review by Neaera

• Released: May 26, 2009
Neaera: Omnicide - Creation Unleashed

With its 4th album Omnicide Creation Unleashed, Germany's Neaera does not disappoint with its blend of unyielding melodic death metal. Each of the 10 tracks on the latest album is a workout for the ears, and actually leaves you dumbfounded at how drummer Sebastian Heldt maintains such energy throughout. There is a heavy dose of double bass pedal, which becomes an essential element in driving home the amazing rhythm section of the band. Breakdowns and slower, chugging sections do occur, but the vast majority of Omnicide Creation Unleashed hits you like a slap in the face in the best possible way, of course. Neaera (originally formed under the name Ninth Gate) has been the brainchild of Malzan guitarist Tobias Buck, who started the band to explore his interest in the Swedish death metal genre. The band is living up to that lofty quest with the new album, which was produced by Alexander Dietz and recorded under the magic touch of mixer/man of the hour, Zeuss. Omnicide Creation Unleashed is the kind of album that immediately makes an impression in terms of its aggression, but will need several listens to appreciate all of the various nuances that are heard in each track. The opening song I Loathe immediately sets in with a slick guitar line, chugging guitars, and of course, the double bass pedal. Vocalist Benjamin Hilleke alternates between high-pitched, banshee-like screams and low growls, a method that has surprisingly effective results. Hilleke's vocals are often doubled up (high on top of low), and it makes for quite an eerie sound. Prey To Anguish is equally as intense as I Loathe, but its chorus tends to have more of a melodic dare I say, hummable aspect to it. That's not to say that there is ever any traditional singing, but Neaera still conveys a memorable tune with its instrumentation and chanted vocals. Guitarists Stefan and Tobias Buck have their moments as well, switching between memorable lead work and insanely fast, rhythmic picking. Standout tracks for their work include the Slayer-meets-Zakk Wylde Grave New World and the low-end, sludge glory of The Nothing Doctrine. Each member of the band plays a key role in creating the Neaera sound, and if you're not bothered by incomprehensible, growled vocals, then you'll find plenty of reasons to embrace the new record.

As was mentioned earlier, it is a mighty task to understand what vocalist Benjamin Hilleke is singing about throughout the course of the CD. It's actually a shame that the lyrics remain rather overshadowed by the music because there are some interesting themes throughout. The standout track is undoubtedly The Wretched of the Earth, which was written in response to the Ugandan rebel group Lord's Resistance Army (Abducted to the thousands; Carried off to dust in brightest day; Nurtured with illiteracy besieged by rage). The topics of the remaining tracks might not be quite as specific, but there is still some thoughtful word construction in several songs. Highlights include I Loathe (I loathe the dumbing down, manipulation; Decry the tools of the trade that make us kneel) and Caesura (In modern ivory tower; Existence is dehumanized; When complacency calculates; Exploitation becomes relative).

While it's easy to give a famous audio engineer like Zeuss credit in making Omnicide Creation Unleashed a successful recording, the real credit goes to the amazing musicianship within the players of Neaera. It's an exhausting listen at times because the band doesn't rely on breakdowns or mellowed-out moments as much as some of their peers, but the band keeps things interesting by adding in some creative lead parts that echo the rhythm section. There are songs like Age of Hunger that might not stand out quite as much as the rest of the tracklist, but even those moments feature jaw-dropping chemistry within the rhythm section.

guitarsftw
    Butt Rayge wrote: Pretty Damn average Melodeath to my ears...
    yeah, same here
    Illiad86
    I could not listen to it at all. His screaming is horribly annoying...it's like he's trying too hard. This is NOT melodic death metal. They sound like a post 2000 In Flames knockoff but a little heavier.
    thecameronator
    Paramecium302 wrote: guitarhead93 wrote: They seem pretty metalcore to me... So nothing new. i HATE when people say that metalcore bullshit is melodic death metl. More people need to listen to At The Gates
    agreed. Metalcore does NOT = Melodic Death Metal
    true! The first album is simply BETTER than at the gates :p
    Paramecium302
    guitarhead93 wrote: They seem pretty metalcore to me... So nothing new.
    TisPyon
    im a huge fan of melo death but this one really hasnt stood out to me even after a few good listens ... who knows maybe ill change my mind its not bad however in my opinion i didnt think it was all that great either
    Unforgiven87
    Lion_Slicer wrote: new_age_reject wrote: I was gonna check em out then I saw the description of the vocals " alternates between high-pitched, banshee-like screams and low growls" I love gutterals but the pig squeals just piss me off "banshee" to me signals more of a black metal scream, the way the Black Dahlia Murder switch back and forth, not the Job for a Cowboy squeals I think you mean... I don't know exactly what they refer to here though... help?
    Theyre just referring to low screams. And if you wanna hear a ****ing insane pig squeal and murderous high vocals, and i mean ****ing disgusting high vocals, I cant even listen to em that much, Chelsea Grin is the band you wanna check out. DL their torrent on thepiratebay.org
    metaldud536
    guitartilldeath wrote: just got this album. it's fuking amazing. motherfuking amazing. fans of dark tranquility, at the gates, even cannibal corpse, get it. now. now before you miss out.
    This reminds me a lot of deathcore. I'm a fan of Dark Tranquillity and I don't see many similarities. When I think melodic I expect catchy but brutal tunes. :/ This is pretty meh.
    Frantheman 26
    Butt Rayge wrote: Pretty Damn average Melodeath to my ears... Which equals pretty shit music to mine =D
    new_age_reject
    philrox wrote: No, they don't pig squeal. That's Job for a Cowboy. It's just a high pitched scream, for example the first scream in This Calling by All That Remains.
    Ok, I'll give it a go then, thanks for the heads up.
    new_age_reject
    xAxioNx
    beerslayer420 wrote: This album is ****ing bad ass. The drummer is way faster, and it almost sounds like AT THE GATES or THE FORSAKEN. I'll have to tab some of this.
    check out my tabs dude, i allread did some
    guitartilldeath
    beerslayer420
    rahnercore
    Gave this CD a preview on iTunes and bought it instantly. I've been listening through it for the past hour or so and I'm really impressed. The vocals, for the record, are very very similar to those from At the Gates or Black Dahlia Murder. No inhales to be found.
    Disturbdkornkid
    Job for a Cowboy only really pigsqueeled on their EP, not so much anymore i believe. And the vocals arent too bad on this, no pig squeels just death metal lows.
    xAxioNx
    rising tide of oblivion is one of the best melodic deathmetal albums. the first two albums were damn good and addictive, Armamentarium was robbish. But i'm very attracted to this one. It's a Beast. check out my guitarpro tab of the new song AGE OF HUNGER
    philrox
    Lion_Slicer
    death_unknown
    Ive listened to these guys since 2006 when Let the Tempest Come came out. I have all theyre albums. I love these guys. They always change theyre style a little with each release and still manage to keep things appealing to death metal fans. Armamentarium in my opinion is their best. The Escape from Escapism is a song At The Gates wishes they would have written. Very talented guys. If you dont like Omnicide: Creation Unleashed, then listen to their other albums and chances are you find one you cant get enough of.