Epitaph review by Necrophagist

• Released: Aug 3, 2004
Necrophagist: Epitaph

Necrophagist is perhaps one of the most impressive tech death metal bands I've heard lately. I first heard of them through a friend who had me listen to the first song on the CD called 'Stabwounds'. The songs are very careflly put together and the harmonization between the guitars is incredibly random. I bought both Epitaph and their first album as a band, 'Onset Of Putrefication', online. Although all of there songs are impressive, they tend to get repetitive, as do the solos as every one involves sweep picking of some sort. Some really standout tracks make up for this downfall however. 'Diminished To Be' is heavily based off of diminished scales, more so than the other songs. 'Epitaph', the title track, has the best solo on the album. Symbiotic in Theory is my favorite song on the CD as it has the best harmonization between the guitarists if you can call it harmony.

There is nothing special about the lyrics, but there really doesn't need to be as I can't understand much of what Muhammed Suicmez is saying. I've never been a big fan of screaming and that's the only major downfall for me on this album. But when matched with the music it's hard to imagine someone actually singing to it so in the end it fits. I'm just glad that the screaming isn't high like what you hear in screamo and some death metal bands nowadays. It's much deeper making everything sound evil, like metal should be.

Necrophagist's Epitaph in my opinion is better than their last album Onset. Onset did have some very good songs but Epitaph is much more refined and better organized. If it got lost or stolen I would definitely buy it again. I love the crazy tech metal genre but I'm really not big on screaming. This can be a drawback for some people but for the metal community this a groundbreaking release which any metalhead should buy.