Epitaph review by Necrophagist

• Released: Aug 3, 2004
Necrophagist: Epitaph

the sound on this album is really tight. The sweeps and all of the lead stuff done by muhammad is really just sensational. The band as a whole is really clean and together. The album itself, to me, has sort of an egyptian feel to it, with some of the modes that are played in and scales that are used, the sound comes off as a sort of middleeastern feel, yet it still has that really heavy metal feel. I'm not a huge fan of "grind" and they incorporate it in this album as they do in general, and it's just enough that I can tolerate it. I really like the phrasing in the songs that are used and just how everything comes together as a whole.

With a good vocabulary used and some symbolism hidden subtly in songs like Stabwound, the lyricist is pretty good. I wouldn't say that it's anything worth noting. The voice used on this album is pretty good, I think it matches up with the music pretty well, it creates for a really good blend in the final mixdown of things. I like it because it lets you concentrate on the band as a whole, whereas some metal bands just highlight either the music or vocals, not usually both. So it's good to hear how they decided to put this one out.

When I listen to this band, I usually end up listening to bands like All Shall Perish or Nile, soon after. The styles and guitars just seem to relate in my head, moreso All Shall Perish than anything else. Only Ash Remains, I feel is the most impressive song on the album. Just turning the track on and hearing the bass and guitar lead intro, is really kind of astonishing. Despite the weird timing used as well, it's just excellant lead work and it's a highlight of the album, in my mind. There's not a whole lot that I don't like about this album. As I've said numerous time throughout this review, the blend is just sensational to me. I love the way this album was mixed down and how they decided to record everything and the roles of each of the band members. Great album.

Instrumetal
    Not as good as Onset... Great album though. Muhammed's growl is teh pwn, and Christian Muenzner is fantastic throuhout. Only Ash Remains is the best song evar!
    The songs are very careflly put together and the harmonization between the guitars is incredibly random
    teh eff?
    mertt
    Guitars are very techical and well Muhammed Suimez is fantastic guitarist