Epitaph review by Necrophagist

• Released: Aug 3, 2004
Necrophagist: Epitaph

Necrophagist is probably the most regarded name in tech metal among aspiring guitarists. Every single song put out under this name (except for the last two songs on Onset of Putrefication) have been absolutely incredible. The CD's name Epitaph makes a clear distinction of the motif occuring in this album; death. This is probably the closest thing to damnation in music form imaginable. Completely remarkable, and probably my favorite CD that I've ever bore witness to.

The vocals are not a major concern of this album. I believe that if it wasn't completely retarded, Muhammed would have simply grunted and growled with absolutely no meaning behind it. However, I must admit, growling along with the chorus of Stabwound is very satisfying. Don't listen to this for purely vocal intentions.

Diminished To Be is great fun. My favorite. Polyrhythms are so fun, aren't they? I promise you, if you are at all open to death metal, this album will be nothing less than stunning at first glance. I would buy it then lose just as justification to buy it again.

headbanger703
    One of my favorite bands. They kicked ass in the Summer Slaughter Tour. The guitar work is mindblowing and I think the bass intro to 'Only Ash Remains' is the coolest bass riff that I have ever heard.