Epitaph review by Necrophagist

• Released: Aug 3, 2004
Necrophagist: Epitaph

The technicality of Necrophagist's music has never ceased to amaze me. Mohammed Suicmez reigns as one of the cleanest and most articulate sweep pickers I have ever heard, and his uncanny ability to growl while playing goes almost unmatched. The music is basically the same and just as heavy as the band's first album, but there seems to be more focus on melodic leads and melody in general than the first album. Stabwound and the solo section of Seven are both good examples of this. The riffs are still fast and brutal. I would probably say this album is musically superior to Onset of Putrefaction. Also, it's worth noting that Suicmez plays with live musicians on this album, whereas he recorded all the tracks and used a drum machine on the previous one.

The lyrics took an entirely different direction from Onset of Putrefaction. Though the first album's lyrics would be categorized as gore metal, poetic is a better word to describe the lyrics on Epitaph. The lyrics are much deeper and less violent than their previous work. Still, they fit the songs very well and don't feel out of place even for a moment. Not much to say about the vocals really. Suicmez growls just as good and deep as he ever has. No disapointments (or high-pitched screaming) here.

Overall, this album is a MUST-HAVE for fans of Onset of Putrefaction and death metal fans in general. They remain one of the most technical bands around. The guitar work is nothing short of impressive, and is sure to attract metal players everywhere. Seven and Stabwound are my personal favorites on this album, and are 2 of my favorite songs period. If you like death metal and you don't have this album or have even heard of Necrophagist, I would encourage you to pick this album up or order it.

huevos
    Hendrix1970 posted: I'm just glad that the screaming isn't high like what you hear in screamo and some death metal bands nowadays.
    if there is high pitched screaming (or screeching) in a death metal, its probably blackened death-metal. or straight up black-metal. as for screamo, yeah that ain't far off base. im not helping you deface either genre though. there are some tight black metal bands, like Satyricon or Dark Funernal. as well as screamo, once you move past the weak ass shit like Senses Fail, Saosin, Finch, etc. Circle Takes the Square, Saetia, Antioch Arrow, and Orchids either pinoneered screamo or kept it from becoming a [complete] corporate bastardization. all genres will typically be turned into comtemporary *****houses anyway. as for this album, its badass. haven't heard many Tech Death Metal bands actually making music (i.e. Cryptopsy, post-None So Vile era). Necrophagist and Cephalic Carnage definitely take the cake for brutal music thats enjoyable as well.
    sambargun
    ICreamsodAI
    sambargun wrote: Necrophagist is true successor to Morbid Angel and Death. They've taken the music to a completely new dimension. Just one complaint. The lyrics. How many times will you sing about decomposing, dissecting, rottin bodies? They should look at bands like Cynic and Death who wrote about Philosophy and Life in general. Otherwise its a killer band. When's the next album coming out?
    necrophagist does what necrophagist wants morbid angel, death, and cynic can suck a dick necrophagist owns all
    travd92
    my thoughts exactly sambargun, icreamsodal should open his mind a little, eh?? but anyways, what a wonderful album. from start to finish. its beautiful.
    steve_a7x
    one of the best metal albums i have heard. its up in my top 10 fav albums of all time! every track is insane, i dont know how this guy does it! Cant wait for next album!
    (Touliloulilalilululoulilalilalilututoulilalilalilulutululu) UUUUURRRRRGGGGGHHHHH Invisible blades penetrate By the way The Stillborn one can make you cum three times while listening
    metallicafan616
    the guitar work in this album is amazing, i can play stabwound, diminished to be and any sweep picked section in the album, but what really amazes me is just how hard the riffs are. half the time my fingers can't even reach far enough for the intervals they use!
    RMM82
    Amazing, absolutely incredible guitar shred! This is my favorite tech. death metal album along with the new Obscura. Muhammed Suicmez is a GOD!!!