Epitaph review by Necrophagist

• Released: Aug 3, 2004
Necrophagist: Epitaph

The music on this album Is lighter and more melodic than the bands previous effort - Onset Of Putrefaction. The biggest improvement on the album is the drums, which as well as finally having a real drummer play them they're far less generic sounding and include lots more work on the toms rather than just the snare, cymbals and bass drum. The guitar work is absolutely perfect and complements the drums perfectly, whilst the bass plays intricate lines rather than constantly following the guitar. The solos by Muhammed and Muenzer are full of sweep picking, tapping, sweep tapping and have the most epic tone I've heard in all of Death Metal.

The vocals are not for everyone, like all vocal styles outside of singing. The lyrics are better than Onset Of Putrefaction, although still require a bit more on some songs. For instance, The Stillborn One seems to utilize every metaphor for a stillborn child in existence and Ignominious And Pale seems to try make the lyrics as technical as the music with most words over 4 syllables.

This is one of the best Technical Death Metal albums ever released, alongside Onset Of Putrefaction and Spawn Of Possessions Cabinet. My favourite songs are Stabwound, The Stillborn One, Diminished to B Epitaph and Seven, and the remaining three tracks are close behind. I love how the guitars are mind bogglingly complex yet still rhythmic and melodic unlike most Technical Death Metal albums. The only thing I dislike is how when listening to mp3 versions of the song the drums suddenly sound fake and the guitar tone sounds incredibly bland, although that does emphasise how good it sounds when heard on CD after listening to mp3s for a while. If it were stolen/lost I would definitely buy it again as the album is truly a short masterpiece.

btbamaddict
    this band would be so much better if they just got someone who just did vocals so he can concentrate on the guitar riffs. amazing album though