Onset Of Purification review by Necrophagist

• Released: Nov 25, 2003
Necrophagist: Onset Of Purification

Onset of Putrefaction is a fantastic example of modern technical death metal. The riffs are never repetetive and the quality of guitar playing is beyond belief. The neoclassical elements really help define the sound of Necrophagist into something completely unique and enjoyable to listen to. All of the instruments were recorded by Muhammad Suicmez as well as the drum machine which is why this album gets an 8 for sound. It is however, the best self-recorded album I have ever heard.

The lyrics on this album are very interesting. They display a very good vocabulary and an obsession with dead flesh. The lyrics to most of the songs on the album are very comical to read because, although brutal, they are very disgusting and graphic. The vocals are good and low but don't have much variation, although he is singing and playing incredibly technical guitar at the same time. The vocal patterns go very well with the music however.

For a first album, this is indeed a masterpiece. Necrophagist managed to go from having a single member during the recording of this album, to being a highly respected band in the death metal community. The songs on this album are very brutal and technical and this album is a must for anyone who likes death metal, neoclassical, or just insane guitar.

Republican Punk
    NOOOOO! I CANT BELIEVE THAT THEY PUT MY PROPERLY TITLED REVIEW UNDER THAT NAME!!!! THATS THE WHOLE REASON I MADE ONE!!!
    Lukeydoodly
    Im more of a melodic death metal guy, but the pure awesomeness of everything in this album is incredible!
    metalheadblues
    Wa-shout wrote: Necrophagist is like Yngwie Malmsteen in death metal style because some of the riffs in the songs reminds of Yngwie Malmsteen haha soo sooo true i now noticed cheers Ahaha. Necrophagist is an amazing band, but this review is awful.
    boyan89
    I remember when i used to write reviews like that :facepalm: have a bit more emphasis a great record definitely set the bar very high for technical death metal and one of the best bands in the scene.
    BFH
    Fermented Offal Discharge's solo is downright EPIC!
    Funeral Moon
    Necrophagist is one of the premier death Metal bands today. Muhammed is a ****ing incredible player. The new album next year is HIGHLY anticipated. Love live Death Metal.
    Josué
    Oops, didn't mean to add more to the bagging of the reviewer. If English isn't his first language then leave him alone.
    Josué
    What a disgrace - The album is called "Onset of Putrefaction", not Putrification. Shame on you UG, or whoever started this review. And oh yeah, music just doesn't getter much better than this.
    corp769
    great album, learning the last few solos off the album right now, and uhhh yea.....hard as f*ck
    Lambda
    i think it is awesome that muhammed suimez did 99% of Onset , and it is pure insanity. the stuff of H.P. Lovecraft tales. Foul Body Autopsy should be about 20 minutes long...its too short and wayy too awesome.
    CoreysMonster
    I bought this CD online because of all the rage I heard about them, and I actually liked a song of theirs I heard online, but I just cant listen to this cd for more than 15 minutes, it's just to chaotic. Now, I love extreme and death metal, but this is IMO just way to all over the place. obviously they're awesome musicians, but their riffs are most of the time frantic shredding without getting a groove in, so meh. I'd give it a 5/10.