Onset Of Purification review by Necrophagist

• Released: Nov 25, 2003
Necrophagist: Onset Of Purification

When I first heard this album, I almost pissed myself. At the time, I was just getting into technical deathmetal, and after hearing "Fermented Offal Discharge", I knew I was in on something good. Muhammed Suicmez's ability to fuse deathmetal with Yngwie Malmsteen-esque solos (Suicmez pulling it off with superior phrasing and dynamics, of course) simply left me mouth agape and amazed. Although it took me a while to get used to the guitar tone--which lacked distortion--and the way the riffs were arranged, it gave me an idea of how techdeath should sound: raw, creative, and not lacking emotion. Then I found out this album was recorded entirely by Muhammed himself, which made me respect this band even more. I'll say this again; the solos are insane. They're very beautiful for music about gore, and pretty tough to play as well (though nothing Rusty Cooley would stifle over, it's great regardless).

The lyrics are pretty brutal, as you can hear the Carcass influence in some of the songs. They were written in a way that fit's just well with the music, further intensifying the feeling of the song. If you're dumb or you have no knowledge of pathology, you might not get them though, as the lyrics are considerably high-diction for talking about gore and violence. Also, you're gonna have the pre-chorus to "Extreme Unction" stuck in your head for awhile if you hear this album; a testament to the fact that these lyrics can be potentially catchy as well as brutal.

This is definitely something different for technical deathmetal, contrary to popular opinion. The classical-inspired guitar solos that utilize fantastic phrasing and dynamics as well as shred is something you don't see too often (in comparsion to 21st century bands like Brain Drill who basically play their intruments as fast as possible out of disregard to song-writing), even nowadays when techdeath is very prominent in the underground. Some of my personal favorite songs on this album include; "Foul Body Autopsy" (pretty brutal song, cool solo as well), "Intestinal Incubation" (awesome solo, plus the riffs are kind of scary), "Advanced Corpse Tumor" (see previous song listed), "Extreme Unction" (considerably catchy song, fun to headbang to), and "Fermented Offal Discharge" (best solo ever). There's a reason this album is given so much hype by fans of technical deathmetal; it's simply great. The song writing is well executed for a pretty brutal sound, the solos are overwhelming, and the riffs make you feel like you're in the middle of what the song is desribing; be it doing an autopsy on a foul body, breathing in a casket, mutilating the stillborn, or having worms incubated in your intestine. I'm glad I got this CD from my friend. Heck, I'm glad I got into this band to begin with, because if I hadn't, I'd be deprived of some fantastic music!

DaMetalMaverick
    CoreysMonster wrote: I bought this CD online because of all the rage I heard about them, and I actually liked a song of theirs I heard online, but I just cant listen to this cd for more than 15 minutes, it's just to chaotic. Now, I love extreme and death metal, but this is IMO just way to all over the place. obviously they're awesome musicians, but their riffs are most of the time frantic shredding without getting a groove in, so meh. I'd give it a 5/10.
    I don't agree. It's actually VERY well put together if you know what you're listening to. If you ask me, the chaos is part of what makes the album brilliant, it is technical death metal. When I first heard it I felt the same, but give it a while.
    DaMetalMaverick
    One of the best things about this album is the scary and abysmally gore-iffic atmospheres created based on what ever the context of the song playing is. I'd give it 11/10 if I could :p