After The Gold Rush review by Neil Young

• Released: Jan 1, 1970
Neil Young: After The Gold Rush

After The Gold Rush is considered to be one of Neil Youngs greatest works. With soft, sometimes catchy, sometimes beautiful melodies played buy the guitar or the piano, the album has a very light, simple sounding feel to it. A lot of the songs are mainly Neils vocals acompanied buy just the acoustic guitar or the acoustic guitar and a backing band playing simple things. The focus of the sounds is Neil Youngs vocals and the instrument accompanying him. Other songs include just piano like the title track and "Birds".

The lyrics on this album deal with themes such as racism ("Southern Man"), love ("Only Love Can Break Your Heart") and just gold ol folk story telling ("Cripple Creek Ferry"). I find the lyrics to be very interesting, thought provoking and very fun to sing along with. As for the vocals, Neil Young has a very distinct nasal voice that may sounds odd but makes his songs sound unique. On some songs there are multiple over-dubs of vocals, so at some points it sounds as if you have a choir full nasaly candian folk singers.

I think this is a great place to start for Neil Young fans. It may not have some harder egde songs but these acoustic tracks are great sing a long with. Some of the tracks on the album I find they end early than I'd want. They finish and I jst want more of the song because it was so great. You'll find yourself playing through this album very quikly. Overall, this a Neil Young msuic have. The best and most beautiful song, in my opinion would be the title track. I would definitly buy this album if it were ever lost or stolen.