Heart Of Gold [DVD] Review

artist: Neil Young date: 01/07/2008 category: compact discs
Neil Young: Heart Of Gold [DVD]
Release Date: June 13, 2006
The emphasis is on country, reflective songs played on traditional acoustic instuments. There's little dialogue except for an brief introduction in which other players talk about Young. So, it's all music, filmed and recorded artfully as a visual record of an important composer/singer.
 Content: 9
 Production Quality: 10
 7.1
 8.5
 5.6
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
Heart Of Gold [DVD] Reviewed by: I am the Drake, on january 07, 2008

Sound: The overall sound of this DVD is decent. There isn't really anything special about it though. There is only one song on the whole thing that even features an electric guitar. I'm not saying that this is a bad DVD or anything I'm just going to let you know that it is a little boring. You can not watch it if you are tired because you will fall asleep. I am a big fan of Neil young and I love all of his acoustic and electric stuff but I like it when he combines them together in one show. Not when he just plays a whole show one way. Concerts are supposed to be exciting and this one lacks the excitement. Still has great music though. This is the concert where he debuted the Prairie Wind album before it was even released. // 8

Overall Impression: I've never seen any other live DVDs released by Neil Young so I can't really compare this one to them but I have heard some of his live stuff before and it's all pretty good. I really like this one because it's more recent and you can kinda keep up with how he's sounding these days. I think that the most impressive things about this DVD are his new live versions of his acoustic classics like "Heart Of Gold", "Old Man" and "The Needle And The Damage Done". Th only thing that I absolutely hate about this concert is the absence of all of his greatest electric work like "Rocking In The Free World", "Like A Hurricane", "Ohio" and all of his early stuff. But I guess that it's still worth the money. // 7

Comments