Rust Never Sleeps Review

Neil Young: Rust Never Sleeps
Released: Jun 22, 1979
Genre: Folk-Rock, Rock, Hard Rock
Label: Reprise
Rust Never Sleeps is a 1979 album by Neil Young and Crazy Horse. The bulk of the album was recorded live at San Francisco's Cow Palace, with overdubs added.
 9.5
 9.3
 9.6
review (1) 14 comments vote for this album:
Rust Never Sleeps Reviewed by: westozrocker, on february 06, 2009

Sound: Rust Never Sleeps brilliantly showcases the best of Neil Young - the acoustic folk singer-songwriter and the electric Young playing some frenetic rock and roll with his beloved Crazy Horse. In the midst of ever changing musical fads and trends and with punk in full swing, Neil Young delivers this great album in 1979 which was lauded by Rolling Stone Magazine as the album of the year. // 9

Lyrics: It is no secret that Neil Young is a great songwriter. Rust Never Sleeps features some of his best written songs like "Pochahantas" "Powderfinger" "Hey Hey, My My" "Thrasher" and many more. Lyrics range from emotive, thought provoking, surreal, visual and extraterrestrial in the case of "Ride My Llama". His unique acoustic style accentuates these great songs on the acoustic section of the album then Crazy Horse proceed to crash and bash with some odd yet brilliant hard rocking tunes like "Sedan Delivery" and "Welfare Mothers". // 10

Overall Impression: Rust Never Sleeps is definately in the Top 20 all time best rock and roll albums ever recorded. One of Neil's very best albums that captures all that is great about his music lyrically, musically and vocally. I love each and every song on this. Very little to hate, if anything. I'd ensure that this record takes pride of place in my collection and do not hesitate in recommending it to anyone. If they steal it, hey, they will at least enjoy the music. // 9

Comments