Roses review by Neomantix

• Released: Aug 15, 2011
Neomantix: Roses

On a recommendation from a friend I took a listen to this small but quickly-rising underground pop rock band from a small town somewhere in the Midlands. And what a surprise I had! This band will appeal to retro lovers of 80's rock and contemporary pop fans. With a full, professional sound, great melodies and fantastic songs this short collection of pristine guitar pop tracks will leave your heads spinning and hearts racing. "Tonight" provides us with scores of hooks, whilst you won't get "Tonight" out of your heads for weeks.

Lead vocalist Amy Star proves the perfect guide through a sea of melodic madness, with a vocal that is simultaneously sweet and heartfelt and cracked and scorned, all the while packing the punch these songs need. An additional plus is the originality behind Star's tone, a refreshing contrast to the scores of Paramore sound-alikes.

Taking a chance on an unheard-of band often proves a difficult proposition, but bands like this one remind you that there really is hope in the world of music. "Girl Behind The Glass" edges it here in terms of sheer energy and excitement, whilst "Black Roses" shows that there are so many more dimensions to this young group than first appear. Definitely worth a listen for fans of modern femalefronted pop rock with a singer who can really sing.

sharkandsnail
    Your so right!! Check this out, its their Music Video to "Time To Waste" I think there's a lot of exciting things to come with these guys!!!
    monkeyrocks
    First saw this band as support at a Spunge gig I went to at the O2 in Brum, liked them enough to make the journey up to Stafford recently to see them play at a rock night. They had improved since I last saw them and for me were the best band of the night. I have the Roses EP and like the tracks on it but if I am brutally honest does not do them justice in capturing the punch and excitement of them live. Funny did not realise the singer went under the name Amy star but she does look and sound the part. Overall great band, but catch them live to appreciate!