Through Silver In Blood review by Neurosis

• Released: Apr 23, 1996
Neurosis: Through Silver In Blood

It's strange there's no reviews and only a couple tabs for the great Neurosis. Maybe their brand of progressive, atmospheric sludge does appeal to many guitarists; there's no shredding here; in fact, I don't think there's really any guitar solos at all on this record. But for a pure, beyond-heavy wall of sound, this bay-area group is unchallenged. Particularly on this album, the sound is incredibly dense(and intense) with the low-tuned guitars and bass, somewhat guttural triple vocal attack, tribal-esque drumming and eerie synth layers. They combine to form a truly original and brutal atmosphere. The songs are long, there is a lot of repetition, and there are very little hooks or catchy parts. So, it's a bit of an acquired taste. After a few listens, it becomes clear what Neurosis is trying to create. They have said this album came from a dark time in the band, and it is easy to tell. The haunting apocalyptic atmosphere is probably what makes "Through Silver in Blood" so great.

YouTube preview picture

The lyrics are very hard to understand, and probably hold some deep, personal metaphors for the band. They fit well with the music though, contributing to the atmosphere. The vocalists mostly scream (and I mean scream) their lungs out except for some calmer moments in "Strength of Fates." While none of them are particularly talented at singing, that is not a problem because of the sheer emotion put forth in their performances. Most vocals are handled by Scott Kelly and Steve Von Till, who sound quite similar. Bassist Dave Edwardson has a much lower tone; it reminds me of the Megadeth mosh vocals on "Rust in Peace." His voice is heard most on the odd-time groove of "Eye."

"Through Silver in Blood" is undeniably heavier than almost everything else out there; it's not fast or technical or gimmicky, but it's sheer power absolutely crushes. Some of my favorites are the title track, "Locust Star," and "Aeon." They're all good though (except for maybe the transition tracks, but they went ahead and made them separate tracks so you can skip them). It's a huge step forward from the band's previous album, "Enemy of the Sun" and (just in my opinion) is only surpassed by their next effort, "Times of Grace." Nothing sounds like this band except for maybe the new "metalgaze" movement but even many of those bands (Isis, Cult Of Luna) have started to branch out to their own styles.

v2a2n2g2
    haha i use to be shred kid who used to be into nothing but cheesy "neoclassical" metal and jazz fusion. These four words changed my life forever: "THROUGH SILLLVVEERRR INNN BLLOOOODDDDD!!!!!"