Drama Queen Review

Neurosonic: Drama Queen
Release Date: Sep 5, 2006
Label: Bodog Music
Genres: Alternative Pop/Rock, Electro-Industrial
Drama Queen is a phenomenal follow-up to the far inferior Out of Your Mouth, and with it Darr has finally pieced together the many musical threads in his head into one sizzling set.
 9.5
review (1) 3 comments vote for this album:
Drama Queen Reviewed by: HughF, on february 11, 2008

Sound: This is an album that will either make you go "wow" or "what?" This album is an odd mix of hip-hop rhythms mixed with extremely low tuned guitars and acoustic ballads, which works for the boys from Neurosonic. One of the most impressive aspects of this album are the drum and vocal breakdowns found in songs such as "So Many People" and "Are Solar," which I just found so damn catchy. One negative aspect is that, though an excellent guitarist, there are no stand-out guitar solos on the album. The acoustic songs are also worth as listen, but are not as good as the upbeat songs. Overall, I would give the hard songs a nine, and the slow songs a seven. // 8

Lyrics: First off, I am an avid advocate of Jason Darr's lyrics and voice, as in if they were crack I very well might snort them. On the serious side, the lyrics are superb on this album, with just minor mishaps. From songs about crazy girlfriends to songs about Ashlee Simpson's mishap on SNL, they can just be downright funny. And while the acoustic song's sound wasn't exactly on par with the heavy songs, the ballad's lyrics are beautiful and go hand in hand with the music. Listen to the tracks "So Now You Know" and "Fearless." // 10

Overall Impression: I really enjoyed this album. Just the fact that this band is so versatile makes this CD worth a listen. I recommend the tracks "Are Solar," "Crazy Sheila," "For The Boy," and "So Now You Know." The only thing I dislike about this album is that there aren't more songs like "Are Solar," on the album, as I think the band could have really shone with songs similar to that one. If I hadn't already burnt this CD to my computer, I would definitely by another copy if it became lost. // 9

Comments