In the Aeroplane Over the Sea review by Neutral Milk Hotel

• Released: Feb 10, 1998
Neutral Milk Hotel: In the Aeroplane Over the Sea

I always try to be objective when I write these UG album reviews. The problem with being honest about when the sound or the lyrics are worthy of 5 stars is that the records I review pale in comparison to the other records that have been reviewed here by people who say "the sounds is pretty good" and give it a 5. (This is especially infuriating when the album is by a by-the numbers n metal or pop-punk band.)

In the Aeroplane over the sea is probably the best record I own. (Please remember I hate glowing reviews like this, but in this context it is absolutely necesary.) The sound is not innovative, but it can certainly keep your attention, and the lyrics are better than any band in the overrated emo movement. Jeff Magnum sings his twisted words as though he is completely sure of every word he is saying, and is therefore unafraid to sing out. Standout tracks on this record are "Holland 1945", "Communist Daughter", and "Ghost".

This album doesn't fit cleanly into any genre I've ever heard of, but despite that it is one of the most accessible albums I've ever heard. And you won't get bored of it, which is usually what happens with an instantly appealing album, because it seems to unfurl its mysteries piece by piece, so that every time you listen you pick up on two or three more subtleties that mae listening more pleasurable. I would reccomend this album to everybody because it is so great.