In the Aeroplane Over the Sea review by Neutral Milk Hotel

• Released: Feb 10, 1998
Neutral Milk Hotel: In the Aeroplane Over the Sea

Its sound, not anything horrendously earth-shattering and different, is still quirky and unique in it's own right. Trying to describe the music's like trying to explain the cover artwork. They themselves describe it as "Fuzz Folk" and that fits rather well. Acoustic guitar is the main instrument, there is also drums and some strange keyboarding or effects, and an occasional horn blast to keep it interesting. At the worst, sometimes they get a little overboard with the fuzz, but this is a minor flaw. "Wandering Geenie", "The Singing Saw" and "Shortwave Radio" are a few of the instruments mentioned in the insert. Expect the unexpected.

The lyrics are what make this album one of the greatest, ever. It's by far, for me, the best I have ever heard. (And I'm speaking from experience.) The unbelieveably strange subject matter, and the lead singer's amazing abillity to sound sure of himself and completely sincere through even the strangest phrases, in the beginning of "The King Of Carrot Flowers Pt. 2" he nasally shouts "I love you Jesus Christ!" in "Communist Daughter" he quietly describes that "Semen stains the mountain tops", and in "Two Headed Boy Pt. 2" he woefully sings "Two headed boy, she will feed you tomatoes and radio wires" and never, for a moment, will you doubt what he's telling you. Now that's amazing.

This album must be heard to be believed, it might take a while to sink in, for me it was instantly accessible. I had a friend borrow the album one day. A day later his brother went up to me and tell me how his brother was listening to it, and how he couldn't stand it and was driving him crazy. A month later I heard him singing "Communist Daughter" to himself. If you can't stand it the first listen, give it a chance. Let it all sink in. If it's his voice that's driving you away it'll get less annoying over time, trust me.

Slayer2
    possibly one of the most beautiful albums iv ever heard, thanks Jeff
    hamish5178
    IN MY OPINION. This is THE best musical creation mankind has ever made. It must be heard to be believed, and nothing compares to it. I listen to a lot of "good" music, and this album simply shines above everything else. The composing is amazing, the lyrics moving. The whole world should hear this album, everyone that has seems to have a deep emotional connection with it.