In the Aeroplane Over the Sea review by Neutral Milk Hotel

• Released: Feb 10, 1998
Neutral Milk Hotel: In the Aeroplane Over the Sea

The sound on the album is amazing. Mostly acousticaly, Jeff Mangum brings a raw and realistic sound to the guitar. The album is also accompanied by a number of different horns and keyboard attacks that add a distinct sound. I would even go so far as to say that if you judge the sound by itself, it is not even that good. However, the sound fits perfectly with the album and the rest of it's content.

Lyricaly, the album is a masterpiece. This is what makes the album what it is. Mangums lyrics transcend conventional music, and he brings it with such believability that you will raelly question where he gets his content from. Some may seem a little strange, even sick, but at the end of the day, what he writes seems like it comes from a place very deep inside him.

The only problem with this album is that it takes some getting used to. For me personally, I loved it since the moment I played. However, most others don't like it right away. This is almost a good thing, because if there are people who judge something by the first listen, without giving it a second chance, then this album isnt for you anyway. If this were lost or stolen, I would buy two more just to make sure that if it was lost or stolen again, I could still listen to it.

thereverendsoup
    Markieg3 wrote: absuloustely amazing. any one have any recomandations on anything like this ?
    No. No more where this came from.
    Azraelclaw
    Jeff Mangum is a terrible singer by technical standards, but this album isn't for the technical. His voice pours out emotion in everything it sings out. It's so over zealous almost in the inflection it pushes into you. NMH was never about being "good" it was about passion and movement in your soul, and they (mainly Jeff Mangum) pulled it off perfectly. There is no other record with as much passion and soul movement as this. Ah, The ranting makes me feel 12 again.
    Markieg3
    absuloustely amazing. any one have any recomandations on anything like this ?