Neve Review

Neve: Neve
Release Date: Jun 13, 2000
Label: Sony
Genres: Alternative Pop/Rock
Neve's self-titled debut album introduces the group with a baker's dozen of anthemic, energetic yet bland alt-pop songs that sound like the result of a gene-splicing experiment.
 5.2
 9.3
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
Neve Reviewed by: Thechich, on february 22, 2007

Sound: Neve are quite a little known band as far as I can tell, partucularly here in the UK, which is a shame. Probably their most famous song "It's Over Now" appeared in the the film "The Faculty" and is typical of their upbeat, feel good sound. Their sound is akin to that of 'Nine Days' and 'Eve 6' and 'Feeder'. This album works really well and displays the ability of a very talented singer and guitarists, which are backed up well by bassist and Drummer. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are, on the whole, very good, and very clever in places, which (for me) are particularly evident with lines such as 'You're part of the 'in' crowd, You spend your time thinking out loud' in "Same Old Story", 'Things may change, And I'll take the blame. But what I am to you, Will remain the same' in "Absent" and 'So take my hand and drift away, This atmospheres's not perfect, But it is what we create' in "Drift". Yet they do this without being too complicated, and it all fits with the music well. // 10

Overall Impression: One of my favourite ablums from a band unfortunately not avaiable in the UK, so those of you in the USA count yourselves lucky. The most impressive songs on the ablum are 'Six Feet Under', 'Absent', 'Drift' and 'It's Over Now'. There is an element of teenage punk about it, but it's much better than that to be stuck in that catagory. I particularly enjoy the way they aren't afraid to play around with effects, which isn't confined to the guitars. The producers of the album have added some in (for example the Drums in 'Drift') which really develop the songs musically. Were it lost or stolen I would want to find myself another copy. // 9

Comments