Dreaming Neon Black Review

Nevermore: Dreaming Neon Black
Release Date: Jan 26, 1999
Label: Century Media
Genres: Heavy Metal, Progressive Metal, Power Metal, Alternative Metal
Dreaming Neon Black, with its slow-paced track list and subpar melodies is not the band's best effort.
 9.5
 9.3
 9.7
review (1) 17 comments vote for this album:
Dreaming Neon Black Reviewed by: steady666, on july 03, 2006

Sound: This album was the first time I heard Nevermore and it blew my mind. From start to finish this album is a masterpiece. The rhythms are heavy and thrashy and they have a great pounding distortion sound. The slow songs are melodic and goes well with the theme of the album. The production on this album is fantastic, I don't find anything wrong with it at all. You can hear each individual instrument quite clearly. Jeff Loomis and Tim Calver's solos are eerie and makes you feel the fall into madness. Although this isnt Loomis' best work his solos are still very good. // 9

Lyrics: The whole theme of the album is centered around a man's slow plunge into insanity following the death of his girlfriend. This is supposedly based around Warrel Dane when his girlfriend left him to join a religious cult. The lyrics are the best thing about Nevermore in my opinion, especially on this album. The end chorus of Beyond Within "Welcome To The Fall..." then whispers "...of one man's sanity" sends shivers down my spine as does in Deconstruction when Warrel says "I Am The Dog" and the solo kicks in. Amazing. Warrel Dane is a fantastic singer, one of the best I've heard and his 5 years as a opera singer really shows. // 10

Overall Impression: It is too hard mentioning the most impressive songs on this album because they all are awesome in their own way. The LEAST impressive in my opinon would be "The Lotus Eaters", "All Play Dead", "Cenopath", "No More Will" these tracks seem more experimental to me and drag on a bit. The lyrics, Warrel Dane's vocals and the whole eerie feel of the entire album is what I love about it. This album whilst not as perfect as Nevermore could be (see This Godless Endeavour for that), it is still up there as one of my favourites. If this was stolen or lost I would go out and buy it again. // 9

Comments