The Obsidian Conspiracy review by Nevermore

• Released: May 28, 2010
Nevermore: The Obsidian Conspiracy

The band here have taken a step in a different direction with the new album The Obsidian Conspiracy. Gone are the eight minute slogs of progressive virtuosity and in are the shorter slices of song arrangement prowess and catchy song chorus'. Its a gamble they've taken with this evolution in sound but one I feel has paid off through the sheer convincing job they've done in the writing of the material. It is just a quality cd. Jeff has taken a back seat with the lead work here too giving the song itself the spotlight instead of the impressive fret work he is know for. Not to say the solos aren't some of the most tasteful he has ever played and the riffing isn't frantic and mind boggling, cause it is!

The lyrics are one of the more hotly debated aspects of this album along with the singers vocal ability. People have a problem with the style of which Warrel Dane sings, he's like marmite you either like him him or you don't. Personally I love his style and think his vocals compliment the madness of Jeff Loomis riffing and song direction. This album is no different in this regard, Beautifully layered vocal sections and catchy choruses which soar in the songs are abundant.

Overall I am astounded by the album. The strength of the song writing shows how in the four and a half years since This Godless Endeavor the band have matured as musicians and lyricists and have become leaders in their fields. The album lapses into the middle but picks up to a frantic finish in the title song. Or if like me you have the special edition you get the most imaginative versions of Temptation and the Crystal Ship I've heard.

guitarman47
    at first i absolutely hated this album and thought it was really commercial-sounding. but after about 2 weeks of listening to it repeatedly it grew on me and became one of my favorite records of the year. sure, it's a little different then the previous albums but still kick-ass nonetheless \m/