This Godless Endeavor review by Nevermore

• Released: Jul 26, 2005
Nevermore: This Godless Endeavor

What a kick ass band! That was the expression I had when I first heard Nevermore's Dreaming Neon Black and to this day, that is the very same expression that I had on hearing This Godless Endeavor for the first time. To me, this is probably the guys best work musically (although the general feel of the music was something similar to that of Dead Heart In A Dead World). In this album, they went to the extreme mixing various styles of the rock genre to produce a gut-busting sound. I mean the very first track has a grind feel to it. With this album they blur the line that separates all the genres. This is the sound that makes Nevermore and This Godless Endeavor different from any other hard rock album released in recent times.

Warrel Danem, he is what I simply call a genius. The lyrical content boosted in This Godless Endeavor is just captivating. From singing about religion to reaching the highest powers in the land(the government), Warrel shows you a perspective on things that you may not looked at in any other way. Like in the song Final Product, the opening lines are "The media loves the latest tragic suicide. They exploit it, and package it and profit from the people who die," would have ever looked at it that way? However, this is what I know Nevermore for their way of writing lyrics that reflect what they see around them. But all in all, this is great work by these guys.

In comparison with their previous albums, This Godless Endeavor is one of their greatest, and I can see that if they ever break up(which I hope they don't) there will be atleast 2 songs of this album on a greatest hits. The most impressive song to me is Sentient 6 and I shall quote the first line of the chorus, "Trained, I see imperfection in your race." There is too much that I like about it and so little I hate(if not anything). I think everyone can find something that they like totally about it and something that they hate most about it. For me, probably the only thing I don't really like is that it sounds similar to Dead Heart In A Dead World, but then again that's just my point of view. All in all, if I were to lose this album, I will definitely buy it back, if it is stolen, I will hunt that person and ensure they pay darely for it. This ablum if definitely a must for anyine looking for a different sound from the average hard rock.

theDecieved1
    When i write music, i come up with riffs that sound dark, eerie, and kinda scary, but nothing i have ever come up with is as scary or dark as this album.
    masterofthe313
    this is just a piece of pure art...how they come up with enough talent to make this music, i dont know....truly an album to listened to and add to a metal collection....