Catalyst review by New Found Glory

• Released: May 18, 2004
New Found Glory: Catalyst

Unlike their current "pop-punk" peers, New Found Glory take pretty significant steps forward with new albums. Catalst has a darker feel than NFG's previous releases, even the cover artwork. And the music itself is more complex and unique, while still heavy and energetic.

The element of music which most differentiates New Found Glory from the increasing number of bands lumped into the extremely shallow and oxymoronic "pop-punk" genre is lyrical. Unlike bands such as Blink 182, Good Charlotte, or Simple Plan, New Found Glory has always written lyrics worth listening to. On the band's newest release, Catalyst, the most notable songs displaying the band's lyrical diversity include "No News is Good News", about society's fascination with morbidity ("I wonder why/Only disasters flood the headlines/Other people's misery/are on for the next 3 hours/Commercial free"), as well as conformity ("It's so easy not to think for yourself anymore/So naive/You don't do anything anymore") and "I'd Kill to Fall Asleep", with a chorus of "Back and Forth/I toss and turn/It feels like strings/are holding up my eyes". While New Found Glory do have their share of songs about girls and relationships, they're not necessarily "love songs". Most of the band's lyrics deal with broken friendships, the worst side of relationships, failure, or betrail.

I bought Catalyst so I'd know the new songs before seeing NFG on Warped this year, and was really impressed, considering I hadn't heard any of the songs before I bought it. I'd say this is definately worth the 13 dollars.