Catalyst review by New Found Glory

• Released: May 18, 2004
New Found Glory: Catalyst

First, I'd like to say that I was blown away by the talent of this quintet, there's just so much depth to their songs that I'll try to break down each song. 01. Intro - great beginning, starts the CD off great with rocking power chords. 9/10 02. All Downhill From Here - probably the best known track on the album. NFG pulls you into their world with a catchy chorus and ripping power chords. 9/10 03. This Disaster - this is an excellent song, great lyrics and awesome chorus. The song starts off alright but the hook-laden chorus lets you know that you're listening to something special. 10/10 04. Truth Of My Youth - the first impression of this song you get is a catchy, upbeat song. However, a closer listen to the lyrics will reveal to you that this is actually more an emotional song. Great use of color guitar in the chorus. 10/10 05. I Don't Wanna Know - NFG slows down for this track, a slow tune about meeting a girl. For some reason, the chorus reminds me of a nursery rhyme, though I can't place my finger on the exact one. 8/10 06. Your Biggest Mistake - this song really blew me away, NFG at it's best. The power chords in the background mesh beautifully with the lyrics, no awkward moments here. Background singing comes in at the perfect moments and provides beautiful complement to Jordan. Arguably the best song on the album. 11/10 07. Doubt Full - in the beginning of the song, Jordan croons out "The lines are perfectly written," and that describes this song. The lyrics are awesome. Not the catchiest melody, but if you take the time to listen to the lyrics, you'll get treated to some superb songwriting. 10/10 08. Failure's Not Flattering - good song, not great. I enjoyed the keyboard in the background, and the chorus is pretty sweet. Lyrics were meh. 8/10 09. Over The Head, Below The Knees - a dark song compared to the normally upbeat NFG. This song sees NFG delving into relatively unexplored territory for them, and they emerge safe and sound, not conquerors, but not failures either. 8/10 10. Ending In Tragedy - another slow song, this song really shows the depth that NFG has. My least favorite song on the album, but that doesn't mean it's bad because the album as a whole is amazing. 7/10 11. At Least I'm Known For Something - the song kicks off with ripping, palm-muted power chords. The verse is somewhat drawn out, but the song is saved by an awesome chorus with some great lyrics. Great song. 10/10 12. Constant Static - nice chorus, nice lyrics, alright song. 8/10 (for some reason, I'd Kill To Fall Asleep was replaced by Constant Static on my CD). 13. No News Is Good News - standard NFG fare, but nice constrast between verse and chorus. 8/10 14. Who Am I? - the song in the beginning is alright, but there also lies a hidden track if you listen through the whole 8 minute tune. It's just hilarious, you have to hear it for yourself. I'll say no more. 10/10

I was very impressed by the lyrics of this song, I was expecting some garbage lyrics from bands like Simple Plan or Good Charlotte. Instead, the lyrics are surprisingly deep and there are some great, witty moments. For example: "Cause I'm best known for failure/Best known for giving up/There's nothing that I could say that could matter, that could matter enough." Classic stuff in At Least I'm Known for Something. Great execution by Jordan on this one.

Compared to other punk-pop bands, NFG is one of the best. Filler is nonexistant in this album, there's always something unique in each track. I love Jordan's voice, and the emotion and energy he brings into each track. A pattern I've found that I like is the contrast of the verse to chorus in some songs, slow and relatively soft, to loud and frenzied. If this were stolen/lost, I'd definately get another copy. In conclusion, this album can be described in one simple sentence. All Killer, No Filler, great album by a great band.

JesusLives
    GOOD JOB NFG!!! A very well done albumn. They perfect the rock/punk sound with almost all their songs. There isn't a bad song on the albumn. With their unique sounds and vocals they rock. I'm not a huge fan of punk, but these guys had me listening to this albumn non-stop for two months. Everyone has just heard of "All downhill from here," yet several of the songs are just as good as that hit. Well done!!
    Zell182
    This album is a lot better than sticks and stones and 'Failure's not flattering' is awesome I listened to it over and over. Their best song by far.