From The Screen To Your Stereo, Part II review by New Found Glory

• Released: Sep 10, 2007
New Found Glory: From The Screen To Your Stereo, Part II

For those not familiar with From The Screen To Your Stereo, it is New Found Glory covering their favorite movie songs. In the last one, they covered songs like Aerosmith's I Don't Want To Miss A Thing, Celine Dion's My Heart Will Go On, and the theme song from The Never Ending Story. In part 2, the band takes what they did in part 1, doubled it's size, and added a full cast of guest vocalist. The music can only be described as solid. The entire album holds your attention from start to finish. The album starts off with Sixpence None the Richer's Kiss Me (best known for being in the movie She's All That). The song really is a great opener, immediately defining the album. The song definitely shows that the album will be nothing like their last album, Coming Home which took a more serious tone for the band. Kiss Me makes you think about old New Found Glory, where the band was all about having fun. Another great song is King Of Wishful Thinking (originally done by Go West for Pretty Woman). The track features guest vocals from Fall Out Boy's Patrick Stump. The guest vocals are welcomed in and perfect the already amazing track. Stay actually features Lisa Loeb, the original writer of the song. Originally from the movie Reality Bites, the track is an interesting song for the band to do, but it definitely is helped out with Loeb's vocal guest spot. Lovefool, originally done by the Cardigans, features Adam Lazzara of Taking Back Sunday fame and it is a great song for the band to do. It has a general fun feeling to it for such a fun band. Another stellar addition to this movie soundtrack is Crazy For You, which features Max Bemis of Say Anything. The song is a great way for the band to incorporate the vocals of Bemis, along with their own vocals. The duet between the two is a very well done addition to this album. Some other songs I didn't mention that I loved are Head Over Heels (from Donnie Darko), Don't You Forget About Me (from The Breakfast Club), and Iris (from City Of Angels). This cover album will continuously be playing on your mp3 or CD player. The album has little to no flaws, but some songs are better than others. The guitar riffs are basic pop-punk styling, mostly consisting of chords. I found that songs like It Ain't Me Babe and The Promise weren't exactly welcome to the band, but they were definitely interesting attempts for them. Overall, though, the band has released something that people will talk about for awhile.

The lyrics of this album aren't original, but they are definitely good lyrics. Guitarist Chad Gilbert has said, We really looked hard to find songs that we might've written ourselves. Yeah, maybe we wouldn't write a song called 'Kiss Me', but we have love songs and songs about relationships, so it made sense. Most of the lyrics on this album are stuff that the band would write. Most of the songs are about love and relationships. The songs' lyrics are clever and memorable to anyone who has heard them.

This album I doubted at first, but after I heard Kiss Me, I knew it would be good. The album is memorable and is a good representation of some of the band's roots. To me, this seems like good, old fun New Found Glory. It is definitely a step above Coming Home. I would recommend anyone this album. If you don't like pop-punk in general, then maybe this isn't for you, but this album is solid. Anyone who likes the band or music from bands like New Found Glory will love this cover album from beginning until the very end.

Harvey_Danger
    Because we like pissing you off. Why haven't these guys broken up yet?
    paulfinch
    unfortunatelly we like bands (like NFG) that make music for fun. So go and listen to Akon, loser.
    itry_itry
    Harvey_Danger wrote: lifeinxgeneral wrote: why would you bother commenting or reading this if you didn't like new found glory? shut up. it's a good album and all of their full length albums are great too. Because we like pissing you off. Why haven't these guys broken up yet?
    because you touch yourself at night
    DOOdooroCK
    this cd was better than the coming home cd i say. and to ppl who hate NFG, dont hate NFG hate fall out boy...
    GuitaPlaya
    Maybe we haven't heard the album dip shit and we want to see people's opinion on it. Why would you bother reading a review for an album that you already have? I wanted to see what UG says about this. I've heard this some of nfg's other stuff and it blows. Listen to real punk like the Dead Kennedys and the Jesus Lizard if you want to hear good music.
    kiss zombies
    Iris is the best.. even though I've only heard like three of the songs. Unfortunately NFG couldn't capture the emotion, and the guest vocalist (Will Pugh) did a MUCH, much better job than the whole band combined.
    sam36
    new found glory are good. stop lying, saying "uhh their crap" what gay bands do u listen to. and YES! to soulburn101 , shai hulud are sick! im going to see them in london in november. their cover of NOFX - Linolium is brilliant
    lifeinxgeneral
    soulburn101
    Everyone should check out Chad Gilbert's previous band, Shai-Hulud. He was the vocalist for the album, "Hearts Once Nurished with Love and Compassion". Amazing album, and much better than NFG.
    getts182
    Yeah, who honestly wants to listen to a band that has fun making music?
    sam36
    staind_dust87 you are a div . its not a "desperate act" its a kind of promotional celebration thing because they just signed back to their original record label (the label on which the first FSTYS was released). Also, the GGD cover is one of the best on there. Get real son
    Whoabot
    I'm with staind_dust. I heard this album and it's like, the same song over and over again. The guy does not have a great voice. And the cover of "The King of Wishful Thinking"? *spits*
    staind_dust87
    Wow, seems kind of like a desperate act to sell albums to me. I'm really not interested in hearing this has-been punk band covering Goo Goo Dolls (one of favorites), I think I just threw up in mouth.
    pigmaggots
    A step above coming home? I don't think so. Good album yes but I don't think doing a bunch of songs by other people is as good as writing a mature pop album as Coming Home was!
    thereverendsoup
    I heard a couple tracks from this, and it's garbage. I didn't even think it was possible to make a more annoying song out of "Kiss Me," but replacing the corny "Christian rock chick" vocals with even cornier "dude with no testicles" vocals seems to have done the trick.