Not Without A Fight review by New Found Glory

• Released: Feb 20, 2009
  • Reviewer's score: 6.3 Neat
New Found Glory: Not Without A Fight

The album begins with "Right Where We Left Off" which isn't an understatement by any means. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed their music a great deal when the simple riffs and solos applied to their youth and type of image they were trying to put across, but now it has become stale. I started listening to NFG after a breakup with my first girl friend and I'm 23 now, so it's been a while. They did their job by suppling emo lyrics mixed up with fast paced pop punk guitars and drums. Not Without A Fight has taken a step backwards in time to that but not in a good way because the songs sound recycled and forced. Sort of like the label has asked them to stand still and keep pumping out those "please come back to me. I hate myself" teenage anthems. I guess there's always a new crop of kids who can take what they need from the genre and create memories with each song.

I'm not going to do a track by track break down since I've always hated reading what someone thinks about a song they think sucks but someone else may love. I'm kind of torn with the lyrical content on this record. On one hand the lyrics become a little hard to swallow when the band is still dealing with the same problems they had for the past sum odd years. A person can only stay in their high school mind state for so long until they must grow up (which I thought they did with Coming Home). I understand that heartbreak and loneliness are universal issues for everyone but if that's your entire world then you should talk to your doctor about medication or therapy. And other side of the coin, I hate to see a band change so much that they lose the aspect of them that made you pick up everything they put out in the first place. All and all if your looking for an CD like their Sticks And Stones album then this is for you.

"Listen To Your Friends" and "Such A Mess" are definitely the strongest tracks on the album but they are overshadowed by miserable songs like "I'll Never Love Again". By now, this band has been around long enough for most people who are into this genre know about them and their past stuff, if not, and your new to them, don't take this as portrait of what is NFG. Take a listen to the self-titled album, Catalyst and Sticks And Stones (possibly the best of them all, in my opinion). Even Coming Home, although different, has several catchy tracks that will have you singing along after a couple listens. The guitar work on Not Without A Fight is solid and the singing is what we have come to expect from Jordon; unique but with limited range. Give it a listen but don't expect anything new, which may thrill some and disappoint others.

Nano556
    Good review, it's a pretty average album, but not bad by no means.
    fmfualex
    its not one of their best, but i still like it, i agree with you on the lyrics, its NewFoundGlory all over, but i'm one of the people that is glad it still is! Good review though, i still think their self titled one is the best!
    DOOdooroCK
    i had hoped for this album to be like their self title album. It did sounded they took a step back but this album was kind of disappointing. But it wasnt horrible, just okay