Radiosurgery review by New Found Glory

• Released: Oct 4, 2011
New Found Glory: Radiosurgery

If any of you have read what NFG said about the record before it wa released you'd know they described it as a journey back to the early/mid 90's pop/punk. Influenced heavily by Green Day's "Dookie" and Rancid's "Lets Go" and others of the like. Its not entirely that sound, in that its still very much a New Found Glory album, but it has massive elements of those albums in. Very simple chord progressions, straight forward structures and simple, easy listening but infectious melodies. For those who like the old New Found Glory sound its for you, for the those who like the new sound, I can see you liking it as well, any 90's pop/punk fan should like this. The sound is as you'd expect, brilliantly captured with some of the catchiest songs I've heard. The song Drill It In My Brain has to be one of the best songs on the album, it has an unexpected breakdown that just can't be ignored. Although, the intro/main riff is very similar to "Motivation" by Sum 41. Now I know these bands probably get on and would never think of filing a lawsuit against one another, but if Sum 41 ever thought about it, they'd have a serious case. Come on New Found, you can do better than this!

The lyrics are awesome in my opinion, simple and effective. No new ground broken, but does there really need to be? New Found Glory all over. In a nutshell, "Radiosurgery" is about how the character cannot get this girls face out of his head and how he just cannot get over her. "I'm Not The One" is about a one night stand basically, how a girl is saying he's not the one to take her home. "Summer Fling, Don't Mean A Thing" is about how a girl needs a guy around her for the summer and how the main character won't allow it to happen. "Caught In The Act" is about a couple who know they shouldn't get together but still do as there is an element to it they both enjoy. "Seperate Beds" is, again, about one night stands and how the main character wants this one night stand to be something more. Overall, they're very simple lyrics, but they fit the music well and they're brilliantly catchy and very easy to relate to. Not saying that lyrics easy to relate to are better, but there is something about these lyrics that work well with the songs. The singer, Jordan is again, flawless. As a vocalist myself, I find it hard to sing along with him as he has such a good range. And I know some people don't like his nasal voice, but there is no change on this album, so don't expect it to be.

As far as the New Found Glory back catalogue goes, its hard to make an album that can be considered as good as their previous efforts. This one in my opinion can safely go with "Self Titled", "Sticks And Stones" and "Catalyst". If it was released a decade ago I believe they could've had some big hits off it. The most impressive songs on the album are "Drill It In My Brain", "Ready Aim Fire", "Caught In The Act" and "Separate Beds" (Bonus tracks) but the stand out track for me is "I'm Not The One". The only song I don't like that much is "Dumped", I just don't like the modulation, it seems very '14 year old writing his first songs' and the lyrics just aren't quite as good as the rest of the album. I would definitely buy this album again if it were lost/stolen, without a doubt. Overall I really love this album, they've been a top band for so long now and this is another piece of evidence to confirm that. The album artwork is pretty sweet as well. I bought this CD along with Zebrahead's new album "Get Nice" and Blink-182's "Neighborhoods". and this is by far my favourite. New Found Glory fans should get it... And if you're new to this band it would be a great place to start listening to them. Oh yeah... They also throw in a pretty good cover of "Blitzkrieg Bop" by the Ramones if you get the deluxe version.

XxNeurotoxinxX
    Regarding Motivation vs. Drill it in My Brain. The songs are in two different keys, the timing on chord progressions are slightly different and the songs aren't even about the same thing. Sum 41 wouldn't have a leg to stand on and anyway, like you said, they wouldn't ever sue New Found Glory.