One Day It Will Please Us To Remember Even This review by New York Dolls

• Released: Jul 25, 2006
  • Reviewer's score: 5.7 Decent
New York Dolls: One Day It Will Please Us To Remember Even This

This album may be for the true Dolls fan, but might not be for the true punk rock fan. Several of the songs do rock as hard as the original line-up of the Dolls did, but it is a much different version of this classic proto-punk band. The major difference of sound has to do with the lose of the late, great Johnny Thunders, although their replacement, Steve Conte, has the chops to fill the shoes, just lacks the originality. The replacement for Arthur "Killer" Kane, Sami Yaffa, got used to playing Dolls-style music by playing bass for Johnny Thunders in the early '80s. Musically, the band sounds more like a toned-down version of the original New York Dolls, but seeing them live under the Brooklyn Bridge three weeks after the release of this album, these old men still know how to rock!

This album has much more slower (think of "Subway Train") than their original albums, which at first I didn't like (I still wouldn't put it on to rock out to). But after listening to it a few times, I realized that the slower songs were better than the heavier ones. This is when David Jo Hansen's lyrics (the sole lyricist) really start to come out and you can feel what he is singing about. After truly feeling this album, you'll realize that Jo Hansen is the only one that haven't lost a thing over the years; he's just a good, if not better, at his trade than his "hay-day." (listen to: "Dancing On The Lip Of A Volcano" & "I Ain't Got Nothing"). The only time I think Jo Hansen reverts to almost elementary lyrics is in "Dance Like a Monkey." Would be a good song, but he gets too political for the Dolls, especially odd, by being pro intelligent design. The lyrics to defend his point are just horribly arranged and is truly a sad addition to an otherwise good album

Like I said, this is a good album. A great album? That's up to you. If you are looking for the follow-up to "Too Much Too Soon", try getting some bootleg Dolls or Johnny Thunders "LAMF". If you are looking for a good rock 'n' roll record that will give you a glimpse of the breif history of a great band, buy it. The bright spot to this album is that it does not make the band look like a bunch of lackies and has-beens like some bands do years after their last album release. But it does make them sound old, and makes you sad to think of what this band could of been had it not been for their premature departure and excess of drugs. RIP Johnny Thunders!