Thrive Review

9.7
 9.3
review (1) 1 comment vote for this album:
Thrive Reviewed by: TAOD4ever, on september 13, 2010

Sound: Trive is an album by the Newsboys, released after their hits album it was a nice change of sound for them. Thrive is heavier and has more of a rock sound to it than the previous albums. Jody Davis is the guitarist on this album comes a nice crunchy and distorted sound. The guitar takes presidence here and it's obvious that catchy riffs are the goal of this rock album. The album succeeds quite well at delivering the sound intended. Duncan Phillips is. An incredible drummer and he backs the guitar quite well. All in all this album sounds solid and doesn't need any improvement in my book. // 10

Lyrics: Peter Furler sings the vocals on this album and his nice Aussie voice is a nice accompaniment to the music. While this is not his strongest performance it is still solid with him singing a variety of tones and pitches throughout the album. As far as lyrical content goes they're still solid with the praise and worship songs: "It is you" and "(Lord) I Don't Know", some more mediocre songs as far as Theological content are: "Fad Of The Land", "John Woo", and "Live In Stereo" But each songs has a meaning and a careful listener will pick up on them. But as far as the lyrical and vocal quality goes they are quite impressive. // 9

Overall Impression: When you hit play on the CD player you'll hear Jody start with some heavy riffing, although during the second song the guitar takes back burner to whistling. Which is a signature (but odd to me at least) tactic used in other songs by them such as "Breakfast". But all in all I liked the songs "Million Pieces", "Rescue", and "Cornelius" have a very good sound to them with great riffs to them. The thing I liked about Thrive was that it was raw and bold, it was creative and not cliche. If I lost my copy of Thrive I would most definitely buy it again, the singles "Million Pieces", "(Lord) I Don't Know" and "It Is You" make the album worth buying. // 9

Comments