Metal review by Newsted

• Released: Jan 8, 2013
Newsted: Metal

After quitting Metallica back in 2001, Jason Newsted decided to form his own band under his own name. He hired some of his close friends and made his dream project come true. The first time I heard all the songs, it felt like it was an album made in the '80s or '90s (which isn't a bad thing). It's pretty old-school heavy metal. During those decades, metal songs were full of energy and attitude. And Newsted captures that energy pretty well. The songs and riffs are very synonymous with Motörhead. Newsted's vocal is a mix-up of Lemmy and Testament's Chuck Billy. There was no doubt that, he was the best back-vocals of Metallica. But I had no idea that his vocals are that good. In terms of innovation and creativity, there's nothing we never heard of. It's a nostalgic ride to the "never lands" of heavy metal.

If any word that sums up the lyrics of "Metal", it's "attitude". Like in the opening track "Soldierhead". There's lines like "I'll Make The Devil Sell His Soul". It really does pumps you up and makes you want to "headbang" (preferably Newsted's way of headbang). The music and the riffs matches superbly as well. Most of us has no idea about the guitarist (Jessie Farnsworth) and the drummer (Jesus Mendez Jr). But I have to say that, they've done a decent job. The riffs are top-class. As for Jason "Jasonic" Newsted, his bass works are pretty awesome in "Soldierhead" (particularly in the bridge) and "King Of The Underdogs". And his vocals (as I said before) is mix-up of Lemmy and Chuck Billy. He has so much character in his vocals, they go on the with the songs and the lyrics pretty well. He is a fantastic composer. After all, he wrote "Blackened", "My Friend Of Misery" and "Where The Wild Things Are". Overall, I'm very impressed with the lyrics and vocals. Especially with the vocals.

Here's a review of each songs: 1. "Soldierhead": The opening track is "over the top" metal song. It's probably the best song in this EP. The bridge is pretty awesome. Towards the end, it has a good solo (Nothing special though). 2. "Godsnake": Another awesome track. It has the crunch you want in a heavy metal song. The guitar works are top notch. 3. "King Of The Underdogs": This song is as impressive as the previous two. The solo has a "horror" feel to it. The ending is intense, which lefts you screaming "I'm the king of the underdogs". I know Metallica fans will find something similar, right at the end. 4. "Skyscraper": This song carries the momentum of the album. It is the longest song in the EP. But it is equally impressive. This is an EP, which left you reeling for more. I hope this becomes a hit in the metal community. I love how Newsted decided to capture the energy of heavy metal. I wish they had a little more variety in their songs. But I'm not gonna blame them, as this is only a 4 song EP. If you like old school metal or if you're a fan of Metallica, Motörhead, Testament, you're gonna love it. I suggest all the metal fans to buy this. Otherwise, you are missing an epic ride. And I sincerely hope that this project continues. As there are not many bands that can capture the essence of Heavy Metal as "Newsted & Co." does.

YouTube preview picture
YouTube preview picture

N-D
    Surprisingly I like it. Good work, Jason! Classic 80s/90s feel - but in a good way.
    Rojam
    I like it, but I think part of the reason it'll get the attention is because Newstead is a former Metallica bass player. It's nothing like super revolutionary or mind blowing. I think what I'm getting at is if some no-name band did this, it might be heard a bit, but it's not a "dude you gotta check this out!", sort of album.
    damillion
    I liked "Soldierhead" and "Skyscraper". "Godsnake" and "King of the Underdogs" were nothing special. It's not a bad start, but I hope the next effort takes it up a notch. Thrash needs more bands who know what they're doing.
    gray96
    Not bad. Not to sound like a jerk, but Jason really needs to shave or get a haircut; as of right now, he looks like a really angry Mr. Noodle from Sesame Street .
    henrihell
    I hope for a clearer sound on the album. It's true that metal should have a raw sound to it, but it shouldn't sound like crap either. Still good songs though, really looking forward to hear more!
    ScottStewart1
    Great review. While it's not revolutionary, neither are Motorhead or AC/DC (at least in recent years) but you still love 'em and get amped up by the music. I get same vibe with Newsted. I don't see this project being diverse or pushing the envelop but I'm still excited for the next EP or album
    The Snowman
    After I read "It really does pumps you up" I immediately started reading the rest of the review in Skwisgar's voice.
    dan0z
    The songs sounded a little bit generic to me. Still be keen to hear the full length album though.
    TheGroundZero
    I agree here. I really want to like this but it just isn't doing anything overly special for me. Seems to lack energy somewhere. Maybe it's the mix, maybe it's the songs. Not sure. I'll give it many more listens and see what happens. I usually don't fully judge music after one listen, unless it's just obvious, utter crap.
    w77yyz
    Like Soldierhead, but then the remaining tracks just seemed to lack spark.
    Rebel Scum
    I love Jason but this video is terrible and the song production reminds me of St. Anger. He is better than this, hopefully there's better tracks on the album.
    Hristev
    I loved it, but a little more mixing would make the overall sound better. It sounds to me like the instruments have no room to "breathe".
    kennethdave
    While I did like the songs, the production didn't click much with me....I would have preferred a more in your face sounding vocals...
    travislausch
    You're judging audio quality from a Youtube video? Or have you heard the full thing? Either way, I've come to accept bands I like have their own ideas on production, and if it works for them, it's not my job to say otherwise. It's their vision, not ours.
    kennethdave
    Full thing mate...I don't do the youtube thing... Got a point there...well, it's our nature to constantly comment on these things...
    crazysam23_Atax
    I agree with this. The production need to, imho, be more in your face overall.
    a drummer
    The production was raw. The way metal should sound. Not this over-produced, almost fake sounding shit every band wants now
    CoreysMonster
    There's a big difference between "raw" and this. This sounds like some dude with very limited experience recorded and mixed it in his garage.
    TuningGamer
    Production is pretty good, but it could use a little boost on the vocals, as they are pretty low tone-wise.
    Wisthler
    Its an EP, trio of idiots.... is just an extended play not an actual album, the real thing will actually have the full production on it.
    kennethdave
    Wouldn't an EP be properly mixed...?? If it isn't wouldn't it be called a demo...?? just asking bout this... And I don't think the production sounded raw...the vocals sound a bit polished to me....
    Harleyrider73
    I bought the EP on Itunes and I love it. I think his vocals sound more a cross between Lemmy and Chad Grey. I'm glad he came out and did his own thing.
    Sundben
    I am actually surprised how fantastic theese tracks where. Jason has really proved that he is a fantastic metal musician, if anybody ever doubted that.
    Way Cool JR.
    Can't say I like it at all, sounds very generic, especially the singing LOL. Might be good for video-game music or something. Certainly not "classic" sounding at all. Also the sound/production is pretty bad. Sorry to tare it apart like that but we are all entitled to our own opinion.
    Abacus11
    This is surprisingly good... much better than anything Metallica has done in the last 20 years. I'm looking forward to a full length album.
    acefecoo
    This would have been weak in the 80's too.
    saint_berzerker
    Saw you trolling on Youtube also. I don't think you were around in the 80's, so your point is MOOT.
    acefecoo
    Oh so the negative comments are trolling? I didn't know that. I think this is weak.
    EyesWideOpen
    There's a difference between not liking something and trolling.
    EyesWideOpen
    What morons voted down my comment? So there isn't a difference between disliking something and trolling? Silly silly people...
    jaymz_6
    These songs are great. Those complaining about production should pull their heads out of their arse they might hear a bit better.
    Shornifier
    I smell a bit of Rick Rubin, no? He probably wasn't involved but...sounds like it was intentionally clipped lol. COOOL SCHTUFF MAAAAN
    Iommianity
    "After quitting Metallica back in 2001, Jason Newsted decided to form his own band under his own name." Plus or minus 11 years and a stint in Voivod .