Push The Sky Away review by Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds

• Released: Feb 18, 2013
Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds: Push The Sky Away

Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds are an astound alternative rock band, who first emerged from The Land Down Under back in 1983. Soon their unique melody of complimentary guitar riffs and light rocking sound would catch the ears of listeners across the world with the release of their debut album "From Her To Eternity", and from there they could only move upward. Since then, they have gone on to release a grand total of 15 albums, several tracks of which have gone on to feature in such popular television and studio films as "Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows Part 1" and "The Assassination Of Jesse James By The Coward Robert Ford". Now, after 5 long years for fans of the rock group, Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds are marking their return to the music world with their new studio album, "Push The Sky Away". We take our first look at the album with "We No Who U R", which features a relatively dark atmosphere and overall quite yet formidable rock sound which remains consistent to the band's earlier releases. No musical piece stands out more than the other, as though each instrument, including the lead singer's voice, are all considered just that; instruments in a piece, and is a fantastic look inside the demented magic that awaits fans throughout the rest of the record.

Staying true to the band's earlier releases, lead vocalist Nick Cave doesn't wield an incredibly dominant vocal presence throughout "Push The Sky Away". This helps attribute to each track, as well as maintain, a quietly dark vibe and feel. Although I personally would like to hear Nick come out of his comfort zone and rage it out on the microphone, he still gives a fantastic performance throughout the new record that leaves very little room for improvement and very little for me to nitpick.

Overall, Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds give a mighty performance throughout "Push The Sky Away" that remains true to those already in their catalogue and should please established fans of the alternative rock group. Quite dark and somehow powerful would best describe my overall impression. There really aren't any tracks I would say standout in a negative way, the entire album maintains the same feel and flows perfectly from song to song. However, some of the album's brightest moments would have to be "We No Who U R", "Mermaids", and the title track.

saint_berzerker
    Boobs in that first vid. Careful.
    ashers67
    Thank you. I've listened to two albums by Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds before and - sad as it is - you mentioning the boobs made me watch the video and really enjoy the song. Although I agree with comments, this video is done really artfully and isn't using the nudity to reach a wider audience, despite it working for me in this case Also, there is a censored version of the video which probably should've been posted though
    xijack
    i was sad that Grinderman broke up, but not so much after hearing this
    Josh100_3
    Fantastic album! I've been listening to it all week, you can really get lost in it.
    rockerwannabe
    I got this cd based on the above praise for it and I couldn't get past the third song. I think it was the third song - they all sound the same. This cd is like taking the reject riffs from U2 and then singing over them like Johnny Cash's cover of that NIN song. It's god awful.