Five Leaves Left review by Nick Drake

• Released: Aug 31, 1969
Nick Drake: Five Leaves Left

Nick Drake is the most unknown musical talent to have ever existed, his work went almost unrecognised during his lifetime, but now it's finally being recognised for the work of art it is. This, his debut album, draws on the folk artists and movement of the time and explores and deepens that sound. Drake manages, through a combination of his virtuoso finger picking and haunting, breathy vocals, to create dense atmospheres to his songs and give them a timeless quality. I do not usually listen to a lot of folk music, but Nick Drake's sound transcends musical taste and boundaries and is, in a word, breathtaking.

As a lyricist Nick Drake uses incredible, poetic imagery to compliment his gentle guitar and string section. In a moment his lyrics can go from hauntingly personal feelings to classic themes of love and longing, though Nick Drake writes about these themes as if they were anew to the world. His vocal delivery is understated and almost whispered at times, adding to the immense tapestry he weaves with each song.

The tragic end to Drake's young life makes this album all the more haunting, but this ranks among the best music I have ever heard. This album takes absolute control of your thoughts for the best part of 45 mintues, uplifting, epic music that will make you listen to it time and again. An absolutely essential record and an album that demands to be listened to. I hate using this word but there is no other word that can describe Nick Drake: genius.

.:LoCo:.
    That review is perfect, he was brilliant its just a shame there is no one like him today making Music like that.
    SixStrings
    ok yea i wanna start out by saying that i just discovered nick drake about a month ago. i now own all 3 of his amazeing studio albums recorded while he was alive and the amazeing "i was made to love magic" which contains alternate takes, rarities, and the last 4 songs he recorded in 74'. people if you are reading this you have to check nick drake out! and i hate to say this but just a comparrison in dexterity this guy is like the jimi hendrix of folk music with his playing ability at the age of 20! your ears wont believe what they hear! and if you know the story of how he didnt receive recongnition until years and years after his death in 74', and listen to the song "fruit tree", on "five leaves left", which is about exactly that! you can't help but to get chills as he sings and predicts his outcome.
    WhereArtEsteban
    Nick Drake is so under rated. This is one of my all time favorite albums, along with the other Nick Drake albums.
    bolduke
    Nick Drake truly was one of the most brilliant minds in music. It's a shame he passed away at such a young age.
    bolduke
    Radmer
    I have just been listning to Day is Done and the guitar play at the start, I know that, but can't remember from what other song ??? Plz help me, it's simply driving me crazy.
    damillion
    Nick Drake? Sellout, definatley...irony aside though, he was one of the greatest musical minds in modern time in my opinion. Five leaves left is his best work and all the songs on this album are great. Nobody writes music like this and he's one of my favourite songwriters only rivaled by neo-classical/metals best: Paul O'niel/Jon Oliva of TSO/Savatage.