Made To Love Magic review by Nick Drake

• Released: Jun 22, 2004
Nick Drake: Made To Love Magic

Nick Drake has an almost repressed depression that seeps through his mucic. The guitar is fingerpicked gently with some of the oddest picking I've ever heard. He was one of the first to start using alternate tunings. His voice is slurred at times, yet he sounds like the young 26 year old man he was. He soothes your mind when listening to him, yet there is an intensity that pulls slowly at your interest. Several of the songs on this album include orchestration. (three hours, magic, time of no reply.) The only thing that may be a downer for some is that these songs were meant to be demos. Nick died before he ever had time to completely finish all of the songs. The songs are truly amazing though.

His lyrics are not always the most awestriking things ever. He always sings the lyrics so casually though, he never forces anything out, it just flows. Many of the songs tell stories or describe a setting or something. it is really just beautiful material. The most amazing things about Nick is his ability to match his singing and lyrics exactly to the music.

Nick Drake is not really compareable to any other artist, maybe Duncan Sheik, but he says Drake inspired him. The best songs are Thoughts Of Mary Jane, Time of No Reply, Rider On The Wheell and the previously undiscovered Tow The Line. This album once again, is amazing. Drake's fingerpicking ability is incredible. If I lost this I would certainly buy it again, heck I'd go buy all of his albums then too.

r.i.p.nickdrake
    I'm sure all of these songs are amazing just like any other Nick Drake songs, but i'd respect the fact that he didn't want or approve the release of these song. So i would only buy the other studio releases put out by him.