Made To Love Magic review by Nick Drake

• Released: Jun 22, 2004
Nick Drake: Made To Love Magic

Nick Drake is my favorite folk artist, and he is a legend and inspiration in many eyes. Before he committed suicide, he recorded three albums, Five Leaves Left, Bryter Layter, and Pink Moon. In these sessions, he recorded songs that did not get released on the albums, and he recorded some songs in 1974; these songs comprise most this compilation album. The album sounds like many of his other songs, and the lyrics are still sincere and somber. The thing this album lacks is the sparkling, overall perfection that his studio albums possessed. The album has it's moments, but it fails to deliver like his three studio albums.

Nick Drake always impressed me with his poetry; this album does not lack in this category. The his lyrics, music, and voice still carry you off into oblivion, caressing the fondest memories of past experience and emotion. It gives the greatness of Nick Drake's writing light, but it is not as perfect as his original album lyrics, but they still shine on.

The album just doesn't have the punch his albums had. It has it's moments, but it fails to grow on you. The orchestration on Made to Love Magic astounds me as to why it never saw light in his life, and the lonely guitar on Thoughts of Mary Jane is still just as great. The album just lacks, and was clearly made for the die-hard Nick Drake fans, of which this audience will most likely cherish. I would not buy it again, as once hearing it, you get the idea. It will not call to you to listen, nor will it push you away with dissonance. It's good, but not as good as his studio albums.