Pink Moon review by Nick Drake

• Released: Jun 10, 2003
Nick Drake: Pink Moon

Nick drake is great, that's a fact. This happens to be the album he really lets his playing expand more than on Five leaves left. The sound is very colourful in the way that when I'm listening to it, it takes me somewhere. One thing though is that this ventures off the path of many orchestrations heard on previous albums. this album is only his and his guitar, excluding the piano solo on pink moon. The album is mainly psychedelic folk, being in the psychedelic sense that he uses many chord substitutes (augmenteds, diminished, minor 7) and a lot of dreamy lyrics too. But he does it well. there not one song on this album that I don't like.

These are def. Nick Drake lyrics. The one thing different on this album is that his lyrics are a lot shorter. The songs range from 2-3 minutes and he often has reprises and choruses. Though this doesn't matter for he pulls it off by adding astronomical music. The music couldn't fit any better with the music he plays. The way he delivers the lyrics is different. His voice is less pronounced and lacks diction and he sings in his higher register rather than his mlow mellow tone.

This is probably my favorite nick drake ablum of the too I owm (FLL, PM). I think the reason I like this one is because it is more like an everyday album, not a highly sophisticated album. The most impressive song "Which Will," for it's chord changes are great and yet so unpredictable. I really have no complaint on this album; it's really good. If it were stolen, I'd buy it again definately. This is Nick Drake at his latest and greatest!

famousshamus55
    Of his three albums, I find this one to be the most representitive of who he was as an artist. It may be stripped down and simple, but its also just as captivating as anything else out there. The best album from an amazing musician.
    telephonebear
    i like five leaves but the extra instruments seem to take away more than they add to the songs. this is the highlight of nick drake's short discography for its clean stripped back simplicity
    SixStrings
    well when you say latest, that's only partly true, because he had songs that he had recorded after that that you can find on the "made to love magic" album it has some different takes on a few songs from "five leaves left" and some from that era that didnt make the album (although so extrodinary they very well could have). and then there are those songs that he had recorded before his untimley death, one of these being the master piece "black eyed dog". nick drake is one of those artist that when you listen to him most of the other music you listen to sounds like a cliche. he had the guitar skills of some of the highly respected folk greats such as bert jansch, creating his very own unique tunnings (some of which are still not known of today) and his lyrics were magic. then there's that voice sort of reminisent of a classic jazz vocalist. this guy was too good for his own good, that that's why he was over looked for 30 years, but now gaining a rapid world wide reputation...i guess for some "life is but a fruit tree"
    cac89
    I agree, but on an analysis of you review make sure to use spell check or just to spell check - otherwise it makes uneasy reading.