All the Right Reasons review by Nickelback

• Released: Oct 4, 2005
Nickelback: All the Right Reasons

With a brand new drummer in Daniel Adair, Nickelback comes out with All the Right Reasons blazing. They have turned up the volume and increased the distortion, which outputs the loudest music these Canadian musicians have ever done. Everything, and I mean everything, matches up perfectly. Vocals, drums, guitars, all in perfect unison. Granted, some styles are repeated, most notably the awesome Rockstar (which is basically See You At The Show), and If Everyone Cared (which is similar in structure to Should've Listened), but all for the better. The boys are getting much, much better, and the only thing holding them back is the majority of society's taste in music today (by this, I mean the rapidly growing popularity of rap, r&b, pop, etc).

Chad Kroeger is a half-breed singer: pair him up with the wrong kind of music, and he sounds like he's got Strep or a hernia; pair him up with the right kind of music, and it's unlike anything any modern band can produce outside of the studio. The way the band maniuplates music to fit his voice is incredible, and it turns his voice into one we all wish we had as rockers. As for the lyrics? Silver Side Up may be one of my favorite albums, but if you write down the lyrics from any song on that CD(except Never Again), the don't make any damned sense. That style of writing almost left in the Long Road and is now completely gone in All the Right Reasons (with maybe the exception of Fight for all the Wrong Reasons). The lyrics now not only make sense, now they aren't pointless. It is easy to understand what the man means in the CD and the lyrics absolutley flow with the music (highlights here are Rockstar, Next Contestant, Animals, or Follow You Home) and sing about things people can relate to (example here in Savin' Me or If Everyone Cared).

My impression? They are through being half-assed in music. They put sweat, blood, and soul into every single part of the album, and it shows. Every single song on this CD rocks, in both meanings. Are some songs a little emo (If Everyone Cared/Savin' Me/Far Away)? Yes. Are Some songs a little hard-core, heavy metal-esque (Next Contestant/Side Of A Bullet)? Definitely. Hell, one song borderlines country(Rockstar) which is stopped by the chorus and interlude. Are these songs spectacular? Indeed. This is probably, no, is definitely their best album(it does not have to be your favorite, but is defintely their best work) to date, and I expect to see even better next time.