Curb review by Nickelback

• Released: Jan 1, 1996
Nickelback: Curb

Nickelback's first album is the real deal my friends. How you remind me? Forget How You Remind Me & Someday, cause there's not a trace of that here. This here is a RnR album and a good one too. Nickelback's sound has been influenced by band's such as: Metallica, Nirvana, RATM, Lynard Skynard, CCR. So the best description of their sound that I can think of is, Nirvana meets CCR. The guitars have that distorted roar of grunge but they're not out of control because they are build on this solid hard rock foundation. The rhythm section is doing a great job, just listen to the intro on Sea Groove. That's a very cool sounding intro. I wanna say something about guitar solos on the record. Where? has a the most technical solo on the record. On the otherhand Just For has a simple but a very emotional solo. I really can't make up my mind of which one I like better. Since this album is a re-release I don't know has the production of the original release been tampered with or not, but I like it the way it is.

Chad's singing, sometimes melodic, sometimes angry screaming tells story's of love, rejection, anger, abuse. Window shopper speaks of a child who is bullied and ridiculed. It could be inspired by the writers own experience or not, but still it's a pretty touching song. In Detangler Chad screams out his frustration (with honesty: Is this how it's gonna be, fine for you and not for me and sarcasm: Didn't mean to waste your time, thanks for wasting mine) of being fooled and then dumped by some bitch. Just For has the most menacing lyrics on this album. And I want to rip his heart out. Just for hurting you. Need I say more. Although menacing, the song is very emotional. Curb is inspired by Chad's friend who drove out to his girlfriend, but halfway to her house he crashed his car into hers. Ironically she was on her way to give him a surprise visit. My guess Falls Back On is about a breakup. The protagonist had idolized the person he was with although they obviously weren't ment for each other. There's a lot of angst in Chad's lyrics.

Before I bought this album I had only heard a few 30 sec song clips, so I didn't really know what the album was like or if I was gonna like it. But since the first time I put it in my CD player I do not regret buying it. Nickelback is often thrown in the post-grunge basket along with 3 Doors Down & Staind. But here they still had a heavier and not so radio friendly sound that makes them a much better band. The only track that so far hasn't really worked for me is Curb. The rest of the album is just to my liking. If it was stolen I'd buy it again, without giving it another thought.