Curb Review

7.7
 9.3
 6.1
Curb Reviewed by: UG Team, on july 29, 2003

Overall Impression: Recently re-released debut album from high-octane rockers hasn't had a lot of coverage (much like their second album 'The State') It's hard to find people who even know it exists, let alone who own it. This is a real shame, since in many ways it is the best of their 3. The vocal ranges in tracks like 'Where' and classic riffs as seen in 'Curb' just aren't seen in Silver Side Up. In my view their best track across all 3 albums; 'Fly' is a mellow, guitar oriented tune with a simple, but very catchy chord structure, with great lyrics. One downside to this album is, since it was independently released originally, it does sound a little 'rough around the edges' at times, and almost sounds live at times. If you want pure rock then this is the album for you. // 10

Curb Reviewed by: brian_s, on august 13, 2007

Sound: Nickelback's first album is the real deal my friends. How you remind me? Forget How You Remind Me & Someday, cause there's not a trace of that here. This here is a RnR album and a good one too. Nickelback's sound has been influenced by band's such as: Metallica, Nirvana, RATM, Lynard Skynard, CCR. So the best description of their sound that I can think of is, Nirvana meets CCR. The guitars have that distorted roar of grunge but they're not out of control because they are build on this solid hard rock foundation. The rhythm section is doing a great job, just listen to the intro on Sea Groove. That's a very cool sounding intro. I wanna say something about guitar solos on the record. Where? has a the most technical solo on the record. On the otherhand Just For has a simple but a very emotional solo. I really can't make up my mind of which one I like better. Since this album is a re-release I don't know has the production of the original release been tampered with or not, but I like it the way it is. // 8

Lyrics: Chad's singing, sometimes melodic, sometimes angry screaming tells story's of love, rejection, anger, abuse. Window shopper speaks of a child who is bullied and ridiculed. It could be inspired by the writers own experience or not, but still it's a pretty touching song. In Detangler Chad screams out his frustration (with honesty: Is this how it's gonna be, fine for you and not for me and sarcasm: Didn't mean to waste your time, thanks for wasting mine) of being fooled and then dumped by some bitch. Just For has the most menacing lyrics on this album. And I want to rip his heart out. Just for hurting you. Need I say more. Although menacing, the song is very emotional. Curb is inspired by Chad's friend who drove out to his girlfriend, but halfway to her house he crashed his car into hers. Ironically she was on her way to give him a surprise visit. My guess Falls Back On is about a breakup. The protagonist had idolized the person he was with although they obviously weren't ment for each other. There's a lot of angst in Chad's lyrics. // 7

Overall Impression: Before I bought this album I had only heard a few 30 sec song clips, so I didn't really know what the album was like or if I was gonna like it. But since the first time I put it in my CD player I do not regret buying it. Nickelback is often thrown in the post-grunge basket along with 3 Doors Down & Staind. But here they still had a heavier and not so radio friendly sound that makes them a much better band. The only track that so far hasn't really worked for me is Curb. The rest of the album is just to my liking. If it was stolen I'd buy it again, without giving it another thought. // 9

Curb Reviewed by: boyan89, on april 17, 2006

Sound: The sound on this cd starts of really heavy then ends the same like all the rest of their CDs. The best souding song on this is Little Friend and has an awesome solo in it. So hear this song because it has one of the best intros to a song ever. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics they were kind of hard to understand but if u look in the booklet or the internet then u would probably but Chad's voice is worse then the rest of the albums but still pretty good. The best song I would have 2 say lyrically is Just For (which is by the way on Silver Side Up). So the lyrics were pretty good but like their other albums way better. // 8

Overall Impression: The best songs on this album are Little Friend, Just For, and Curb are awesome. Little friend as I mentioned awesome sound awesome solo. Just For awesome lyrically good intro and good bridge but slips on the chorus. Curb awesome sounding and Lyrically nice acoustic and electric mix. If it were stolen I would buy it again but not hunt down the person who stole it. // 10

Curb Reviewed by: taytay8b, on september 29, 2007

Sound: This is Nickelback's heaviest and best album. Tons of good old metal/grunge riffs and tunes on here. They lost this feeling when they went mainstream, this CD is very popular with metal fans since it's extremely different from Nickelback's style we know today. It was originally an independant release back in 1996 but it was re-released majorly in 2002 after their smash album Silver Side Up. The riffs are very good, you can obviously tell these boys grew up listening to some good old school metal and grunge. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are very original and not like the stuff they come out with today, although the new stuff is great, this style on "Curb" is very far from their stuff today. The lyrics match each and every song great, surely you won't be dissapointed. Chad's singing is the most raw and rough you'll ever hear it on "Curb". It's great, he really belts out those notes with a perfect raw metal/grunge like voice. Simply amazing. // 10

Overall Impression: This is album is great. If you are a casual Nickelback listener and are more familiar with the new stuff, this is going to be very different. It's not even the same genre of music as the stuff they release today, you can tell this is straight forward amateur, old style metal. It doesnt't compare with any of their other albums. After they went mainstream their whole genre changed, and I still love them! So if you hate Nickelback (like 99.9% of people on the face of the planet) you might want to pick this album up or listen to it, I think you'll change your mind. This album also goes out to you metal heads thinking that Nickelback is pussy metal. If it was stolen I would most deffinately buy another copy! // 10

Comments