Dark Horse review by Nickelback

• Released: Nov 18, 2008
  • Reviewer's score: 6.3 Neat
Nickelback: Dark Horse

To three years from the last world success, "All The Right Reasons", with well 11 million copies sold all over the world, Nickelback return with theirs new expected album "Dark Horse." From the name of the album it would be said that the band would have acquired a more sound "dark" and "bad", partly it has happened, and I underline "partly" in how much it has been more than a wise decision, that taken by the band. I make sense of better me, the band has characterized halves "Dark Horse" with a sound more aggressive than it is immediately noticed by the first two songs "Something in Your Mouth", according to single extracted by the album and "Burn It to the Ground", for then to continue in other songs of the album as "Next Go Round." While the other halves the album has been realized with their old style, all it takes is seeing the first single extract "Gotta Be Somebody", in short "post grunge" by Nickelback. The choice has been wise, as I told precedence, in how much the choice of the band is comprehensible because wanting to try to modernize the sound you/they have opted for a more aggressive sound, without however to misuse of it and to risk to let the old fans to get further and to estrange from the greatest part of their public, remembers however that the band has almost sold 30 million copies with 5 albums, I leave to you to draw it's conclusions. Skipping this, in complex the album doesn't is not result of it exceptional, of it a suit failure, to mine modest opinion but an enough album. Besides I have found a certain similarity of "Dark Horse" with the good album of the Alter Bridge "Blackbird", with which is not the least comparison to technical level, in how much from that part there is the mythical Mark Tremonti, and however clean superiority is easily noticed to level of sound(this has been one impression of mine, I could also be wrong). To conclude the chapter on the sound, makes to notice the good ones but not sublime guitar solos that are in the album, as that in " Next Go Round" and others. A total sufficiency for the rest of the musical part, which doesn't detach in any part, but it is prepared to simply do it's duty. The fact stays that this album reaches the sufficiency and not more.

The part regarding the lyrics, also this reaches the sufficiency, this because in "Dark Horse" they are present songs with some very good lyrics as "If Today Was Your Last Day", "Never Gonna Be Alone" and also "Gotta Be Somebody", in which the lyrics are not impressive, but they have to their inside a valid message, even though very discounted. But other songs have some really bleak and senseless lyrics, S.E.X. and Burn It To The Ground, as if it's had only been written about to say something during the songs, this it could also be all right, if the sound had been sublime and it overhung the part of the lyrics, but so it is not, as the sound, as I have told precedence, it is as soon as enough. I don't want to illustrate you void respect the lyric, I leave it's to you to go to see alone and you will understand of what I am speaking about. As it regards the singing, by now we have gotten used to the unmistakable voice of Chad Kroeger, enough only a sigh to recognize him. Nothing to be said. Great voice. vote in more for the voice.

The first impression that has come me from "Dark Horse", it has been that of a half revolution of Nickelback, not completely result, even if the album he allows to listen, we could count it as a small footstep for a change in positive, but nothing more. This album will leave the bitterness in mouth to many, even if I am sure that it will be a big success however, more for the mark of factory that for worth really. only recommend this album to the old fans of the band, while for all the other I would say to spend your money for best albums.

Factor13x
    Chad's voice is great but im not a Nickelback fan. I think Chad would be much better off in a harder, heavier musical style
    adaeha
    I got this yesterday, I must admit I'm impressed by this record. Chad's vocals are excellent as always. I personally think this album is better that ATRR. My favourites of this album are Burn it to the Ground, Gotta be Somebody, I'd come for you, Just to get High, Never Gonna be Alone and S.E.X. All the other songs are kickass, but these songs stand out the most.
    MonsterOfRock
    bballdevil187
    Very disappointing record. Definately over-produced and commercialized. Their first two records were hard-nosed rock, whereas Dark Horse is a chance at many singles with no real substance. The lyrical material is the same as it has been for every album and I've gone from a fan of Nickelback to being a fan of what they once were. DamagedWill said it best: Nickelback has a lot more to offer than this.
    Powerhouse
    Nickelback is one of the few bands lucky enough to have the opportunity to truly not give a shit what critics think of them. Rolling Stone hates them. Allmusic.com despises them. And yet, each time they put out an album, it sells millions, and hundreds of thousands of people come to see them play live, despite what the critics say about them. It's like driving a million-dollar car to your ten bedroom mansion and hearing a critic rip on your album on the radio, but at the end of the day, you're still driving a million dollar car to your ten bedroom mansion. I have no problem with Nickelback. If I could tour the world being paid millions of dollars every year just to play some simple-minded rock music, I would too.
    Kreuger
    I've always been one to stand up for Nickelback when people rag on them but I don't think I'll be doing it anymore. This cd is too much of a disappointment. The lyrics are so childish and immature. I'm growing tired of it. Wasn't 'Animals' from the last album enough? Oh well. At least I got one awesome album (The Long Road) and then a handful of other good songs.
    ToalNOOB
    mlukeroberts222 wrote: Nickelback is maybe the most obvious sign that rock music has clearly gone to sh*t. I mean, you have to respect anyone that sells 11 million records, but that only goes to further show the commercialism in our world today. Chad Kroeger is an egotistical maniac, and their concerts, which I have seen only once (thank God) suck so hard with the hundreds of teenie-boppers parading around like it was a 'boy band' concert. God I hate this band, though the new album may out-sell the last album to my complete disdain. This world sucks!!
    Your opinion is bad and you should feel bad. You stated 0 facts to back up your claims.
    strat0blaster
    mlukeroberts222 wrote: Chad Kroeger is an egotistical maniac, and their concerts, which I have seen only once (thank God) suck so hard with the hundreds of teenie-boppers parading around like it was a 'boy band' concert.
    Yes - DAMN THEM FOR HAVING FANS THAT ARENT IN THE PROPER DEMOGRAPHIC!!!! Get real. If you don't like them, don't like them - that's fine. But don't look for stupid reasons to hate them, and you're obviously reaching. You don't have to like them OR the music - but you're just making yourself look bad by making excuses.
    G-loony
    yeah i don't see why people give it such a low score though, I mean i bet half of the people voting didn't even hear one song of them.
    mmkat
    well not too bad reviews, looking forward to listening to this record!
    Rajah
    I love this album. The day I got it I listened to it about 4 times in a row and didn't get sick of it. It's great. It has a mix of everything, although the subject of many of the songs are about sex, and whilst there's nothing wrong with that it gets a little boring after a while.
    red157
    'Everyone loves to hate Nickelback', true and for good reason. 8 UG? Horrid.
    pwninator123
    they're not bad, everyone hates them, like Fall Out Boy, just because it's easy, they're talented, good writers (for radio) and smart businessman who else could succesfully live off a single album for 8 years? especially in this day and age
    Andy2k64
    people love to beat on nickelback...but are a good and consistent with their albums!
    korbhag
    sabaka151 : This is a solid Nickelback album, the one thing I hope Nickelback does is introduce the masses to rock music and then when they explore the genre, eventually people come across all the great music rock (Metallica, Pantera, Cradle of Filth, Slayer, Godsmack and so on...) has to offer... So keep playing those typical power cords Nickelback!!!
    Couldn't have said it better! Nobody here got into metal by listening to Slayer or Metallica as kids. We all got into rock music by listening to Simple Plan or some other mainstream rock/pop band!
    Korzack
    MonsterOfRock wrote: Nickelback is, well, nowhere near the best of them... but hey I'd rather hear Nickelback in the video charts than effing Rihanna or 50 Cent. All I can say is that when my mate (no, he is nowhere a muso)puts loud mainstream music on his car, I'm happy when Nickelback comes on.
    Agreed - they may not be stunning, but they're reasonable, and I'd much rather hear them than even more frickin indie-pop bollocks and everything else... Mind you, I avoid the charts like a zombie plague in a brothel, so y'know...
    biglaz84
    "This band tastes like a popsicle that has been stuck up someone's ass"-Eddie Vedder
    DamagedWill
    Nickelback is one of those bands that, I feel, have a lot more to offer then what they are giving us.
    sabaka151
    Ram_overdrive
    BenFoffenbock wrote: Minds_iron wrote: painful voice He has a great voice, it's the best thing about Nickelback.
    its true the only good thing abt the band is his voice
    BenFoffenbock
    Minds_iron wrote: painful voice
    He has a great voice, it's the best thing about Nickelback.
    Shockball V
    kgesme21 wrote: BurningTheLives wrote: So that's why his sentences are bad. He's from Italy. Check his profile. Aww, poor guy gets ripped on for trying to write a review in his second language. Now I feel like a jerk.
    a jerk thats a complete moron and ***hole. Lighten up a bit bud...everyone doesn't speak the common language you know...Grow up!
    zachrudicel93
    anyone remember the days before nickelback sold out and didnt write music just to be on the radio.and you could lsiten to them and not be ashamed of it or a preppy 16 year old girl? I do.
    drummerdawg77
    biglaz84 wrote: Dude i have a file of two of there songs playing on top of one another and it is the exact same song with different lyrics. Same intro, same verse chord progression, same bridge. Anyone who likes this band should seriously draw a warm bath and open some veins
    Well, if Chad can make two HUGE hit songs off the same music.. isn't that talent? I see Ice Ice Baby and Under Pressure with basically the same music, but who the ****'s crying? It's a Nickelback thing, I'm sure, and its a shame, they're and incredibly talented band. The simplicity of their songs is overlooked and seen as uncreative bullshit. So what if they have the same music? They're two very different songs, and people need to get that through their heads. They're songs are so catchy, his voice so distinctive, and it's a damn shame people cant see through the cloud of "hating Nickelback is cool." No one probably even knows WHY they hate them, and even if they do, cant back it up.
    SoftParade1967
    I love the album. Its not as good as Silver Side Up or All the Right Reasons but I like it. Definatly some good catchy songs.
    gibson0809
    i dont know why you haters come on here and post how you "hate nickelback and all they stand for blah blah blah" it doesnt make any sense to waste your time telling us your opinion when it really doesnt affect us at all. nickelback are a musically sound band who have managed to stay strong in the music business for a long time, which is no easy feat. no kind of music appeals to everybody, because there is always going to be a group of people who dislike it. thats the music business. obviously there are more people out there who like them than dont because they've been so successful. i personally think that they're a great band. good guitar and catchy hooks. sure they cant be compared to the greats of rock like the stones or aerosmith and GNR, but they dont have to be compared. nickelback arent trying to imitate anybody, and in my books, they deserve to be applauded for doing so.
    beelaal85
    I hate post-grunge & alternative rock bands cause they kinda ruined the grunge genre. Pure grunge was always guitar oriented unlike pop-tunes that you'll find in post-grunge & in alt. rock... And guys please don't compare nickel to metal-lica... Metallica is way too dif., pure thrash..... THRASH TIL DEATHHH w/ ULTRA-HEAVY DISTORTION.....
    PoP N FresH
    i dislike nickelbak so much i came here jst to tell everyone...AND STOP USING PRS GUITARS U DONT DESERVE THEM
    Set-Abominae
    SnareSG50 wrote: i think Toki Wartooth wrote the second review.
    Ha, read it in a Toki voice and it makes more sense.
    biglaz84
    luigbvb wrote: All you haters out there guess what!...Nickelback don't give a f**k! there out selling any band in todays downloading world so they've got to be doin something right and you small minority hatin' people will be little foot notes in the world of music. God i hate the haters, its just so easy to do isn't it? Suck on my left one you A**holes.
    yeah nickleback and the jonas brothers are out selling everyone, that definately means they rock really hard. i guess that's why they are the laughing stock of every real musician these days. you have to be semi-retarded to believe that number of records sold is a clear indication of how good a band is
    luigbvb
    shredguy
    Toki Wartooth7[/b] wrote: Dude i have a file of two of there songs playing on top of one another and it is the exact same song with different lyrics. Same intro, same verse chord progression, same bridge. Anyone who likes this band should seriously draw a warm bath and open some veins haha. agreed. chad kroger is a piece of garbage, and that goes for the rest of the band, too. people who listen to them amd believe that nickelback has musical integrity are delusional. and i don't know why its not ok to dislike a band if its "easy". i would imagine that if a person played an instrument(assuming they don't play it half-ass) then you would hold a musician, who is making a lot of money entertaining people, to a higher standard. nickelback sucks.(period)[/quote] lol thats stupid. It's unbelievable how jelous ppl get...AC/DC is easy shit, so's metallica stuff, even bands like CoB and Arch Enemy arn't that hard to play. But there good because it sounds good not because of what its like to play. To me commercial means catchy melodies, loads of harmonies, and awesome well produced sounds, all of which are not a bad thing. Ppl always hate bands the more famous they get claiming its because they're "more commercial". Its just a bullshit excuse to hide ure jelousy. You're guna sound better or "more commercial" as u get more famous and rich and i dont think any of u wud be complaining if u were recording in a million pound studio with the biggests producers in rock n metal.
    mack attack
    UG is probably the worst place on earth for people who dis people for their taste in music. People can listen to whatever they want to listen to. Alot of people on UG also dis mainstream music just because it's mainstream not because of the music. I'm not a fan of Nickelback but if people enjoy their music then good for them.
    zachrudicel93
    anyone remember the days before nickelback sold out and didnt write their music just to be radio hits? and you didnt have to be ashamed of listening to them or a 16 year old preppy girl? I do.
    3 days grace14
    Dude your missing the big picture...Yeah they know how to sell records...they have immature lyrics about sex like they're still in high school...YOU KNOW WHY? Cause SEX sells and like you said APPEALS to all those dumb ass simple minded mainstream music loving people...The big picture is that it's all about EASY MONEY...and BIGLAZ84 is right, if you play guitar and actually respect the guitar playing of this band you SHOULD be ashamed of yourself...I don't just listen to metal but god i'd love to see a celebrity deathmatch between LAMB OF GOD and NICKELBACK or better yet how about a real brawl between the two. you know who my moneys on... Fuck man it aint all about guitar. I love guitar and would be quite likely dead if i didn't have it but now you guys are missing the big picture its not about guitar ist about the music made by the BAND not just the guitarist's and so yeah lamb of god kick there ass in our eyes and in our sense of musician ship but they aren't as successful for it im not saying they should go market them selves to teenage girls im not saying they should change at all but.. Yeah nickelback changed a whole shit load not for the better in my opinion but yes i respect them for there accomplishment's and no hater can deny what they have accomplished. All you haters might not like it but there going to continue to make music that is radio friendly and mainstream until thay get sick of it or if every one who bought there albums are. lamb of god and PANTERA and METALLIC are my choice of music but they arent IT there are other elements to music!!!
    sidvicious_91
    Nickelback's music is like torture. I'd have more fun if i put my dick in a toaster, then put meat sauce on my ass and ran through a dog pound. And chad kroger sings like a cat in a blender.
    pyritmann
    Why is everyone defending crap like this saying that people need a mainstream sound to get into other "better" music. Me and my friends grew up on mainstream popular music too but it wasn't shit like this. We listened to Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Soundgarden, Chili Peppers, Smashing Pumpkins, etc, etc. All of these bands were popular as hell but still had a good sound and most of all integrity. People who consider nickleback good mainstream music habve terrible taste and do not know genuinely good music from bands like creed and nicleback. Not to mention posting on a guitar site means you probably all play guitar, which makes it even worse. You should all be ashamed of yourselves. [/quote] Yes mainstream sucks, but not alll mainstream sucks. and though im not a huge nickelback fan, they have stuck to their original sound all the way through their career and not change their sound at all because of pop pressure(its true thought many of you will argue) and nickelback is one thing. CREED how dare you! mark tremonti is one of the best guitarists in rock music and hes better than you ever will be. go listen to any creed or alterbridge solo then come back and try to diss that guy.
    Toki Wartooth7
    biglaz84 wrote: pwninator123 : they're not bad, everyone hates them, like Fall Out Boy, just because it's easy, they're talented, good writers (for radio) and smart businessman Dude i have a file of two of there songs playing on top of one another and it is the exact same song with different lyrics. Same intro, same verse chord progression, same bridge. Anyone who likes this band should seriously draw a warm bath and open some veins