Dark Horse review by Nickelback

• Released: Nov 18, 2008
Nickelback: Dark Horse

The sound of Nickelback has completely changed in their new album Dark Horse, as they now have a varied song type. They have used their rock roots to produce some inticing, on-the-edge-of-your-seat riffs, compiled with some creative and most of the time sexual lyrcs, included in the songs, S.E.X., Shakin' Hands, Next Go Round etc. To be honest, I really was annoyed at Nickelback after creating the song Rockstar, with it being played 24/7. It wasn't their fault but after a while, when a certain song has been burnt into yor skull that many times, you get slightly frustrated. I want to be a rockstar myself but, I won't listen to that song for advice. I was really surprised at the "mobile phone recording" of the intro riff to Something In Your Mouth, as it states on Wikipedia. I want that phone! I loved the fast, upbeat tracks but also got addicted to slower and more emotional songs such as I'd Come For You, Gotta Be Somebody and If Today Was Your Last Day. I also enjoyed listening to the alternative track This Afternoon, which was a good song to end Dark Horse with, as a more farewell song.

The lyrics were not so varied as most of them referred to sex. For example, "We'll do it 'till the batteries have died, then we'll borrow two from the TV remote to turn this thing back on." The lyrics did not directly talk about sex, the lyrics were very suggestive, in other words, use your imagination. Chad Kroeger is an amazing singer and I can remember watching their cover of Metallica's Sad But True live, and just thought WOW!!! That was a brilliant cover, but nothing compared to Snoop Dog's tribute. Now that's what I call musical talent. Way better than Nickelback, I should be writing a review for his album Doggy Style... I actually hate rap and couldn't stand his singing. If you want a good laugh, search it on Youtube, and be prepared to wet yourself with laughter. The music went well with the lyrics and most of them I have memorised, the same with Nirvana's Nevermind which I recently did a review on, because I love that album and are listening to it that this exact moment in time, the song being Stay Away.

The most impressive songs on the album would probably be This Afternoon, Something In Your Mouth, S.E.X., but saying that, I enjoyed all the songs at first Something In Your Mouth, the first thing that popped into my head and wouldn't leave was, "OMG!! Is this really Nickelback? This is amazing!" I love the upbeat tracks where you can just get up off the sofa and jump around like a lunatic, no matter who is watching or staring, or glaring at you. But I also like the tracks where I can lay down and relax. If it were stolen or lost, there is no doubt I would buy it again, as I can't stop listening to it.

doive
    the album is alright - it seems like they were trying to hit a broad audience. they tried to keep their hard edge while also being radio-playable. not sure they quite pulled it off though. it does sound a bit overproduced, which gives the guitars a thick solid sound which is nice, but possibly limited what they could do as they were (possibly) forced into keeping all the tracks ~4 mins long and reasonably simple. to be honest i'm not sure the band are all that proud of it either chad kroeger said "the bar has been raised ridiculously high". they seemed to be releasing it because they felt they should rather than because it was good. "you'd be waiting for new material for, like, three years now" and "So it was definitely time for us to make sure that we had a new album and some new songs for the fans." doesn't sound like a man who's proud to be promoting 3 years of his life...